1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Speedometer reads 10% high.

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by matzner66, Mar 8, 2009.

1. matzner66

matzner66 New Member

Ok, i just finished replacing the stepper motors in my cluster on my 04 Silverado and nothing changed. My speed and odometer read about 10% high. I do have the larger 265 tires instead of the 245's but the speedo and odometer should be out 3-4% on the low side. I'm baffled, is it time for a whole new cluster? Would a speed sensor maybe correct it?
  2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Quick way to tell if it's the cluster is to attach a scanner and look at the VSS. If the VSS is correct on the scanner then your cluster is bad. If the VSS reads fast then you might have a bad sensor.
  3. $ilverado

$ilverado Rockstar

vss? what is that?
  4. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Sorry. I hate it when people do that and I just did it myself!

VSS = Vehicle Speed Sensor
  5. jchambers849

jchambers849 Member

Not entirely related but I read in Car and Driver that manufacturers actually set the vehicle speed slighly on the high side in order to ring up mileage faster and get their vehicles off of warrenty. Just an aside... surely not your problem. Using my handheld GPS every vehicle I've been in only reads 2-5 mph high above 50 mph, and they all seem pretty close below that threshold.
  6. Mindi51982

Mindi51982 Rockstar 100 Posts

x2. My 1500 does it now as did my ZR2 blazer. Pretty much every vehicle that I drove with a GPS the speedometer was high once I go about 50 or 60mph.
  7. GaryL

GaryL Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Your computer needs to be reprogrammed for the tire size you have. Some tire shops will do this for you, the dealer will do it for you (for a fee) or you can buy a programmer (hypertech, etc...) and reprogram it yourself.
  8. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Tire size is the one thing that pops into my mind. I can remember with my old truck, when i got new tires, it read faster also.