1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Speedometer Reset

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by lancer, Feb 3, 2010.

1. lancer

lancer Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

Hey guys i'm not sure if this is the right place for this but thought i'd try. I'm putting new tires on my truck and its going to throw off the speedo. Any ideas on the the best way to get it back to normal with the new tire? its an 06 silverado and i'm going from 265x70x17 to a 315x70x17. Is it something i can go and have the computer reprogrammed or something alot more? in all my old trucks i just paced someone and if it said 70 and i was going 50 i just ran 75 on the odometer and new i was around 55. but with this being a new truck i wanna be about right with everything i'm going to do to it.

Thanks

Andy
  2. Loggerhead Mike

Loggerhead Mike Rockstar 100 Posts

you best bet is getting a programmer that has the tire size setup

gm can/will only program to their stock accessorie tires : IE stock sized tires on 20's and 22's
  3. canislupis69

canislupis69 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I used a speedometer re calibrator by Hypertech. It allowed me to adjust for my 35 inch tires and for my 4.56 gears.
  4. lancer

lancer Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

i ran my truck today after i got everything done and going off my gps its exactly 5 mph off. i was worried about getting it reprogrammed but i can live with 5 mph.
  5. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

On my last truck I had a pro comp calibrator which I bought for $259, and it was very simple to use. You mark a line on the ground in chalk, and extend the mark onto the tire. Move the truck forward one tire revolution, and measure the distance between the two chalk marks. You punch that into the calibrator, and it automatically compensates the differences.