1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Spider test on a 5.7 Vortec?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by vicar75855, Aug 18, 2010.

Random Gallery Photos

1. vicar75855

vicar75855 New Member 100 Posts

Is there a way to test the spider while its out of the truck?

The Local shop had said it might be the spider.(we don't have any really reputable ones in our local area:no:...small town with worst services ever!)

When we pulled it apart the intake gasket was shot, and while replacing it I started wondering can you test the spider? How do you do it??
  2. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I think that GM might have a way.. I know there are a few Service techs on here so they might know a bit more. But i think there is a away...
    And if you dont mind me asking whats it doing??
  3. vicar75855

Had a couple cyl fouling out on the passenger side, as well as all the typical bad intake gasket signs loss of oil/coolant(found out the signs on here thanks all!)

The shop said "oh its the spider" of course they would have to do the intake gasket at the same time.......or so they said.
  4. murdog94

Wow.. I would do the intake gaskets first.. They dont have to do intake gaskets to replace the spider, since to get to the spider it is just the Upper intake that has to be removed. However the Intake gaskets require you to remove the lower intake which is what the Spider is mounted to.
    I would just start with the Intake gaskets.. Because that will cause the most trouble..
  5. vicar75855

Yeah we are in the middle of the intake gaskets now. While cleaning parts last night I just started wondering about it...

Replacing the belt , the fuel presure reg(just because its inside...) the tensioner, some hoses, the heater hose quick connect, the gaskets...

Tried cleaning the alum lower intake with easy off & a pressure washer, my future son in law does it on his LS trucks all the time worked pretty good, was quick and easy. Wish I had thought of that 20 years ago....
  6. murdog94

Well let us know how it turns out.