Spitting Transmission Fluid out of the vent tube

Discussion in 'Chevy Blazer Forum (GMC Jimmy)' started by Keith02ZR2, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Keith02ZR2

Keith02ZR2 New Member

I have a 2002 ZR2 Blazer. It has a 199,000 miles and just recently after I shut the motor off I hear something bubbling under the Blazer then it spits fluid out of the vent tube. It only happens on longer drives when I park. Transmission works great just how it should.

2. thegawd

thegawd Rockstar 2 Years 1000 Posts

its overfilled, the heat causes the fluid to expand and escape through the vent tube. was it recently maintained or when was the last time it was?

RayVoy likes this.
  3. thegawd

thegawd Rockstar 2 Years 1000 Posts

it could also be a plugged cooler line which would require the lines to be flushed out, not the tranny, just the lines.

4. Keith02ZR2

Keith02ZR2 New Member

I changed filter and fluid about a year ago. And check fluid regularly and have only added a quart of fluid total in the last year. It has just started doing this in the last month or so.

5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Have you checked the fluid level lately?
    I'm wondering if it may be low and cavitating in the pump then what your getting out the vent is atf bubbles.
    Or maybe you have an issue in the torque converter and pump causing this, a leak allowing air to suck in.

6. 130195

130195 Active Member 2 Years 500 Posts

You shoulden't have to add fluid to a transmission, unless it has a leak somewhere

Do you know how to check the fluid level properly?