Spring Truck Cleaning Tips for your Chevy?

Discussion in 'Detailing & Truck Care' started by ChevyFan, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I have a tip: Do NOT go to your county landfill after you had just spent $4.97 at the car wash (literally had just washed the truck). I can't believe I didn't even think of the outcome:

[​IMG]

It was clean for at least 10 minutes though!

2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I've used Meguirs Scratch X 2.0 and am happy with it and will continue to use it.

I also use Meguirs clay bar kit and recommend you buy additional quick detailer to go with it if you elect to buy the kit, because the bottle that comes with the kit is small. (It was insufficient to do my truck in its entirety.) While you don't have a long bed you DO have a cap ... with more surface area than my long bed.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  3. AMac

AMac Member 2 Years GMTC Chick 500 Posts ROTM Winner

Wow I love the new siggy pic! Thanks for the tip on the extra bottle of quick detailer, I might need it since I got the cap on. For the scratch x 2.0 does it come off immediately on the next wash, meaning I have to do it every time? should I use it then precede to wax the whole truck so it's not shiny in just one area?

4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

That's a good tip. :) Thanks for sharing. At least you have an excuse to go wash it again.

5. Big_Ben

Big_Ben Rockstar 100 Posts

I spent an entire summer working for a company that detailed vehicles on all kinds from Transports and dump trucks being sold, to brand new corvettes to RVs. We mainly did pick up trucks as the detailing company was owned by welding and fabrication/plumbing company, and we got a lot of business from the bosses of other companies in the trades industry. So I find that even if I want to do something simple like go out and clean the inside of my windshield, I get caught up in noticing every other little thing and end up spending hours.

I usually pick a day to detail my truck as it takes me about 6 hours if I want to be thorough. I don't always spend that much time but it's necessary once a year. I take out all the cupholders, center console etc. and little rubber pieces and soak them in Armor All. Then I Armor all the entire dash, steering column (never do the actual steering wheel with armor all as I hate the greasy feeling), doors, vents and essentially anything rubber or plastic. You'd be surprised how well Armor All and a little scrubbing with a rag can remove scuff marks off the plastic in vehicles! Anything it won't remove, Spray Nine will.

Then I take the mats out, and vacuum everything, and spray off the floor mats. Wipe down the door jams and clean the inside of the windows, and then it's time to wash the outside. If I feel like being really anal I even wipe down the gas and brake pedals and make them shine too. (Don't forget, I'm used to doing it as my day-to-day job where EVERYTHING had to be spotless or we wouldn't allow them to pay for it).

Oddly enough, I've never waxed my truck, nor have I tried taking out the brush scratches from driving down logging roads. I kind of like the shine it has with the nicks and shallow scratches. Gives it character :glasses:

6. FrigginNoodles

FrigginNoodles Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

I recently did the whole wash & wax. When looking closely at the metal on the side moldings as well as the front and rear bumpers I noticed what appeared to be very tiny rust spots scattered all over (invisible from a few feet away). I used Brasso brand metal cleaner/polish and it really made those metals shine and the small spots easily disappeared.

7. SurrealOne

Wash. Clay. Scratch X 2.0. Wax.

By the way the Turtle Wax Ice + Turtle Wax Quick Detailer (used during wax removal, not to be confused with the Meguirs product for use during claying) worked very nicely. Unlike Meguirs synthetic wax the Turtle Wax Ice leaves no white mess on rubber or plastic. Last weekend was the first time I'd used this pair and I will be using them again and again...

8. AMac

AMac Member 2 Years GMTC Chick 500 Posts ROTM Winner

Gee i think I already have more cleaning products than a cleaning lady LOL. Which product did you use for wax removal? And where were you removing wax, the plastic? I have a Meguiars detailing kit I got for Christmas so I'll probably use that up first before spending more money on cleaning products. Next time though I will try out the TW ICE wax because I already use 2 other products within that product line and love them. Thanks for the tips!!

9. SurrealOne

I think you misunderstood me. I was referring to buffing off the paste's haze as 'wax removal'. You can use Turtle Wax Ice Quick Detailer during that phase of the waxing. :)

10. lquattro04

lquattro04 Rockstar

Just out of curiosity... has anyone found a way to remove the wax that does get on the rubber and vinyl after waxing? I can't stand when that happens. I usually go over the rubber and vinyl after waxing with armor all and this seems to remove it for the time being, but as soon as the armor all fades away the white comes back. I haven't found anything yet that removes it.