1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Spun bearing or onother problem?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by vannooch, Sep 25, 2011.

1. vannooch

vannooch Rockstar

Friday night I was taking my Dad camping in my 01 Savana, while pulling a hill I heard a bang then lost power. It was a long steep grade and I was running at 45 - 55 mph and it was shifting between second and third most of the way up. The temp was at about 200 degrees and the oil pressure was at 40 psi before it gave way. Once I heard the noise and lost power the oil pressure went to zero and I drifted off of the road to a stop. I should mention that I was pulling a travel trailer weighing about 5500 lbs when this happened, and when the truck came to tow the trailer out that night I started and pulled the van forward to get it out of the way. It sounded like it was knocking so after I moved as far as I thought I would need to get the other truck hooked up I shut it off and it wasn't started until today. I went out today to look into it and when I started it, it sputtered a little but there was no noise so I shut it off. I started it again and it fired up and didn't sputter at all with no noise so I hit the peddle a couple of times and it seemed fine, no knocking no sputter but the check engine light is on. Did I spin a bearing? It sure sounded like it but every other time that happened It always knocked from then on. Could the CPU shut something off? I didn't mention that the van has 122000 miles on it as well.
    What are your thoughts?
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Sounds like you spun a bearing. I had a similiar problem with a Suburban a few years ago, since it didnt sound like I had a problem the next day I just kept running her for a few more months, she was a third car so I wasnt totally dependant on her.
    When we finally broke the engine down for rebuild we discovered the problem hadnt gone away but had destroyed the block and the crank by continuing to run it. So instead of an engine rebuild I ended up with an engine replacement.
  3. vannooch

vannooch Rockstar

Ok,here is the next question. Have you guys ever heard of replacing the mains (the one that was damaged) from the bottom. The people that I spoke with locally are mixed. A couple of people know people that have done it but most don't think that it will work. I can buy the bearings for 30 bucks, it might be worth a shot.
  4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

You may do more damage. If you rebuild the motor now you may not have to much damage and can save the crank and block. What engine code did it throw?
  5. vannooch

vannooch Rockstar

P0335 Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Malfunction. It's squeaking when I give it some fuel, valves tapping a little but I'm not hearing the knocking that I heard or thought I heard when it went. Timing chain?
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  6. silveradotrailblazer

Maybe you just have a bad sensor. Did you use a scanner to get the code or just a code reader?
  7. vannooch

vannooch Rockstar

I bought a scanner
    I used it and what I posted is what was on the screen. I was talking with my buddy whos brother was having the same problem and he said that it was the sensor. I going to buy it right now.
  8. silveradotrailblazer

Let us know if thats the problem.
  9. vannooch

vannooch Rockstar

Nope, I cleared the codes after install and it threw the same code again. I changed the one in front of the oil pan, is there another one?

After doing some internet digging, I bet the reluctor ring isn't doing it's job. Could that be the squeak that I'm hearing?

What is the difference between crankshaft position sensor "A" and crankshaft position sensor "B"?
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  10. dpeter

dpeter Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

As tbplus10 suggested, trouble is here and trouble won't be going away. Replace all the sensors you want but if you lost oil pressure and wiped out the front bearing it "crank" may have dropped enough to take out the crank sensor. When you restarted did the oil pressure come back?