Sputtering Issue

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by GunEMac, Apr 24, 2010.

1. GunEMac

GunEMac New Member

My 1995 Chevy 1500 350, 5.7L is sputtering and dies while driving. It idles fine and while in park I can rev the engine without any issues. As soon as I put the truck into gear and press the accelerator the truck sputters and dies, but will start up without any issue. I have checked all fluids and change plugs. There is not fluid or air leaks that I have seen.

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

is the CEL on? If so you need to pull the codes... That is going to give you a better starting point for most of us to help you troubleshoot.
    But to be honest it sounds something along the lines of the TPS or MAF sensor... But as i said getting the codes will really help.

3. GunEMac

GunEMac New Member

The CEL came on while driving then went off when in park or neutral. It did that twice but while working on it yesterday I left it running and the light never came back on. The truck is now in Virginia Beach and I am in Washington DC so the code will have to come later. I was just hoping someone else had the same issue and could give me some starting points.

4. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

you can have those symtoms from a cracked or carboned distributer.

5. Viper

Viper Rockstar 100 Posts

just because the light went away, the codes are still stored in the ECU, get a scan tool and pull the codes out, and clear them. and start troubleshooting from there.

6. GunEMac

GunEMac New Member

Jason,
    Thank you, I will check the distributor cap when I make it back down there in a couple weeks.

Viper,
    I will check the codes also, thank you.

Mac

7. Pats1pab1

Pats1pab1 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I have to replace or take and clean the inside of the distributor cap on my dads 96. It gets a build up on the prongs over the year and starts running rough. I just take some sand paper and clean the prongs off and take an air hose and blow everything out, it will run fine after that. Those years seem to have the most problems with the distributor and caps.

8. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I agree with the cleaning the cap, but the TBI motor didnt have near as many problems as the Vortec with its distributors.. I would also pull the IAC out of the throttle body and clean it and the air tract out. Also you can check the prongs on the TPS with a multimeter looking for a nice and smooth build in resistance. IF the TPS is bad it will have spikes. Also have you done a fuel filter, and tune up recently??