Spyder injector assembly

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by gmcman101, Jan 11, 2009.

1. gmcman101

gmcman101 New Member

My 97 was running rough so I took to a guy that has a diagnostic tool.(computer) He said the cylinders 4 and 8 were throwing a misfire code. Said the injectors were probably bad. I bought a used spyder assembly and changed it today. Put a new gasket on the upper manifold and started it up. The thing runs worse then ever. Barely idles and will not gain RPMs with the throttle depressed. Does something need to be reset? Can the spyder assembly be tested out of the vehicle. I'm pretty certain I put every thing back together correctly.

2. ct9a

ct9a Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Sounds like it might be a fuel pressure problem. Perhaps a stuck open injector?

3. Badbrad469

Badbrad469 Rockstar 100 Posts

spider injector has only one "injector" and supplies the fuel to each cylinder through poppet valves. if the spider assembly isn't seeing the correct pressure then it won't send fuel. usually when u replace the spider unit, u need to replace the "nut kit" too.. the nut kit is the fuel lines that go through the manifold into the injector. take off the upper intake and turn the key over and see if gas is coming out from the lines or where the o-rings are.

4. gmcman101

gmcman101 New Member

The gasket kit came with a throttle body gasket and two o-rings, I did install them. I might have put a little to much pressure on the pressure sensor, if that was cracked could it be the problem?

5. gmcman101

gmcman101 New Member

Sorry, I said pressure sensor but after surfing a little, it's the MAP sensor. Would that cause it to run terrible.

6. ct9a

If the MAP sensor is damaged, then yes, it can cause problems if it's malfunctioning. The MAP sensor is how the ECU measures how much air is present/being drawn into the motor and decides how much fuel to add.

7. gmcman101

gmcman101 New Member

I'm not to sure if the seal is tight around the plug in for the spyder assembly either. Maybe getting air through there? It's supposed to be a balmy 40 something this weekend so I'll check it out then. The trucks been down for some time now, so I was a in a hurry to put it back together. I should of known better. Thanks guys, any input is appreciated.

8. ct9a

Spray some carb cleaner around where you think you might have a leak, you should hear the motor rev up (or stumble, can't remember, it's been a few years) when you spray a vacuum leak.

9. gmcman101

gmcman101 New Member

I'll give it a try. Thanks, again.

10. gmcman101

gmcman101 New Member

Well, I took everything apart again and carefully reassembled. Still no difference. It will only idle and with a terrible lope. I don't think the nut kit would need to be changed because it don't have one. The gas lines do not go through the manifold they run right on top and enter next to the spyder plug in. Does anyone know if the poppet nozzles can be changed on the spyder assembly. I can't figure this out and it very frustrating. Help!