1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Spyder Tail Lights collecting dust inside

Discussion in 'Lighting Discussion' started by UpsetProps, May 28, 2012.

1. UpsetProps

UpsetProps New Member

I have Spyder Tail Lights model #:
    ALT-YD-CS07-LED-BK

The past two weekends of driving down dirt roads to go camping has caused them to get quite a lot of dust collecting inside, it is very unsightly with the clear lenses and black internal housing of the light. Just thought I would give a heads up to anyone looking at purchasing these in the future.

I am going to attempt to fix this. I might try using a computer air duster through the reverse bulb hole to blow the dust out. Alternatively I may end up using VHT Niteshades to slightly tint them to make it less noticeable. I supose buying a darker lens to begin with would help alleviate this problem, but live and learn I guess.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Or had a similar problem before? Please post any ideas you have (and don't say buy RECON!)

I will update this thread with any progress I make.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  2. AMac

AMac New Member ROTM Winner

That could happen if the bulbs are not secure, such as the backup bulb. I would clean them out and make sure the seal is tight. If it still happens then I would put an extra layer of sealant on the aftermarket tails.
  3. UpsetProps

UpsetProps New Member

I checked and the reverse is tight. The connection to the LED portion is not sealed at all though. The wires just come out of the hole where the bulb would go if they didn't have the strip of LEDs. When I take it off to clean I will snap a picture of the inside.
  4. AMac

AMac New Member ROTM Winner

yes I would check areas where the bulbs would go into to see if there are any gaps that would allow dust to get in like you have pictured. When you examine the light check for any other areas that may contribute to your issue. Could there be gap in the sealant for the lens?
  5. the phantom

the phantom Active Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

My Led taillights actually have a dummy fitting that goes into the open hole that no longer has a bulb in it. the wires run through the dummy fitting so maybe you can get a socket and mod it to allow the wires to run through and seal it up. Sounds like spyder overlooked this issue. I just removed my taillights to put in led reverse bulb and it was pretty dirty behind them but inside the housing itself is still clean. Good luck!!
  6. UpsetProps

UpsetProps New Member

Thanks Phantom, I was also thinking about making a dummy plug as well.