1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Sqeaky leaf

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by 7daughters, Apr 9, 2010.

1. 7daughters

7daughters New Member

The leaf springs on my 95 burb are rubbing each other and sqeaking. I sprayed grease between them and that worked until the grease washed off. Any ideas on a permanent fix?
  2. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

A dry lithium grease might last longer. On an old nova, I used some poly spring pads like these that helped. I don't know if anyone makes them for GM Trucks.
    [​IMG]
  3. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I found this stuff that's a dry lube. It's exactly like lead from your pencil, well, kind of. But it works really good, and stays there for a while. What some people do is cut up those plastic flexible binders and put them between each leaf. Maybe if worst comes to worst.
  4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

On rock crawlers it's popular to place teflon pads between each spring to reduce squeeking.
    You can also lift the truck and "fan out" the spring pack and wash it out real well then sprinkle in ground up pencil lead (graphite) this will also stop squeeking but it needs to be reapplied every few months.
    Any type of petroleum based lubricant will first attact dirt and cause more squeeking then wash out and leave behind dirt.
  5. Allmostsmart

Allmostsmart Rockstar

I agree with tbplus10. You put just about anything petroleum down there and its like a dust and dirt magnet. They do make these really thin teflon sheets that you can put between each leaf. Depends on how bad you want to pull your leafs apart.