Squeaking noise while backing up.

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by skhurst18, Nov 16, 2010.

1. skhurst18

skhurst18 New Member

Hey everybody. Hope everything is going well. I joined last January, but have not used the sight all that much. I purchased a 1999 GMC Sierra Z71 Ext. Cab last June. So here I am starting to face a few minor issues. I replaced the rear rotors, brake pads, parking brake shoes, and front brake pads last month. I installed everything just the way it came off, with the exception of replacing the two mini clips that hold the rear rotors onto the studs. This month a squeaking noise started when I back up. Does anyone have any idea what this might be?

2. xPosTech

xPosTech New Member

Squeak squeak squeak? U-joint.

Ted

3. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Same thoughts here, or else depending on the squak a cold bushing or worn etc...

4. skhurst18

skhurst18 New Member

Thanks for the info. Should I grease the current joint or replace with a new one?

5. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Greasing the joints is a good idea, but try & localize the noise cuz there's a good chance it is a shoe or pad dragging since it only does it backing up. A joint should squeak both foreward & backward. Have someone back it up while you stand outside & listen for which side it's on. This will cut your R&I & repair time in half :)

6. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

X2 on what stephan said,i'm thinking a shoe or pad.

7. skhurst18

skhurst18 New Member

It was a bad ujoint after all. Replaced front and rear on the back drive shaft with spicers with grease fittings. Thanks for the help.