1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Squeaking noise while backing up.

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by skhurst18, Nov 16, 2010.

1. skhurst18

skhurst18 New Member

Hey everybody. Hope everything is going well. I joined last January, but have not used the sight all that much. I purchased a 1999 GMC Sierra Z71 Ext. Cab last June. So here I am starting to face a few minor issues. I replaced the rear rotors, brake pads, parking brake shoes, and front brake pads last month. I installed everything just the way it came off, with the exception of replacing the two mini clips that hold the rear rotors onto the studs. This month a squeaking noise started when I back up. Does anyone have any idea what this might be?
  2. xPosTech

xPosTech New Member

Squeak squeak squeak? U-joint.

Ted
  3. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Same thoughts here, or else depending on the squak a cold bushing or worn etc...
  4. skhurst18

skhurst18 New Member

Thanks for the info. Should I grease the current joint or replace with a new one?
  5. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Greasing the joints is a good idea, but try & localize the noise cuz there's a good chance it is a shoe or pad dragging since it only does it backing up. A joint should squeak both foreward & backward. Have someone back it up while you stand outside & listen for which side it's on. This will cut your R&I & repair time in half :)
  6. Bigbomber

Bigbomber New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

X2 on what stephan said,i'm thinking a shoe or pad.
  7. skhurst18

skhurst18 New Member

It was a bad ujoint after all. Replaced front and rear on the back drive shaft with spicers with grease fittings. Thanks for the help.