GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

squeaks and chirps. what is it?????

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by 01chivyz71, Jun 6, 2009.

1. 01chivyz71

01chivyz71 New Member

Ok, so i'll try over here.

I just purchased an 01 Silverado Z71 stepside. first [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]Chevy[/COLOR][/COLOR] ive ever owned:gasp:. the truck has 90,xxx miles on it and is in MINT condition. just one problem....something is squeaking! its a chirping noise. coincides with speed. does it in neutral. starts and stops without warning. not brake pads. and i also noticed that if i kick it into 4hi...the sound stops immediately, but usually starts back up a short time later. its not real loud....but noticable inside the cab, and out. my first instinct told me a bad [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]wheel[/COLOR][/COLOR] bearing, so i jacked the truck up and checked for any play. which there is none. it seems to be coming from more towards the front in the center. kinda where the tranny is. would the driveshafts be making this kind of noise???

any and all help would be appreciated
    thanks

p.s. Ive also noticed a slight chirp coming from the rear end whenever i give it gas from a stop. it also makes the sound when im going really slow (10-15mph) and hit the gas. and no its not the tires.
  2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member

Does it do it in neutral idling or when you put it into drive? Does the noise change if you power brake it?
  3. meash20

meash20 New Member

Great question!

I have a Jeep Commander that recently had the front drive shaft replaced.. It was chirping like a bird, at slow speed.

double check the differential fluid levels too...

-me-
  4. 01chivyz71

01chivyz71 New Member

it only does it when im moving.
  5. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member

That's where I'd be looking. A bad U Joint will chirp like a bird!
  6. 01chivyz71

01chivyz71 New Member

is there any way i can check for a bad u-joint in my driveway? I really dont want to take it to the mechanic not knowing whats wrong with it. thats how you get screwed into paying for stuff you dont need to be paying for.

thanx
  7. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member

You can jack up the rear wheels, chock the front so it wont move and run the rear wheels. Listen for the chirp. Also with the engine off and the transmission in Neutral you can usually see and feel a loose or bad u-joint. Make sure you do this on level ground and not on a sloped driveway.
  8. 01chivyz71

01chivyz71 New Member

Thanx Jimmiee, i'll get that done ASAP and report back. :great:
  9. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member

U-joints are the first play to look. As others have said, chock the front whees, jack up one back tire and put the trans or case in neutral. Then you can spin the shaft by hand and really check for play, noise, and rust on the joints.
  10. 01chivyz71

01chivyz71 New Member

Well i went ahead and jacked the read end up to check the read drive shaft joints. nothing seems to be wrong. no play...no noise. its not even rusty or worn looking at all. so i moved to the front driveshaft(where the noise seems to be comming from) and i did notice some play where the shaft goes into the transfer case. now im no expert so im not sure how much play there SHOULD be there. does the front drive shaft spin when im in 2HI?? this is my first 4x4 so im still learning.
  11. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member

See if you can turn it by hand in 2WD mode. It should turn.
  12. cascott325

cascott325 New Member

i would also say u- joints or bearings
  13. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member

It's not supposed to. Didn't you say the problem goes away in 4Hi? That would rule out the front driveshaft. I suppose you could have a problem with the back half of the transfer case, also.

What about CV shafts? In 2wd the tire turns the shaft, but in 4wd the front center section turns the shaft. I suppose it's possible that changing the torque loading could make the noise come and go.

And of course, it could be the front center section too.

Oh boy......
  14. 01chivyz71

01chivyz71 New Member

Well how about this. when the Ujoints start to go bad, besides noise, what other symptoms go along with it. same with wheel bearings, transfer case, front diff, CV shafts. the truck drives perfect. no vibrations. doesnt pull to either side. no clunking noises, or grinding noises. just a lil squeak. and annoying one at that. i should just take it to a mechanic...but my experiances in the past lead me to want to know whats wrong BEFORE i take it in. maybe i can figure out a way to attach a sound file of the noise. let me see what i can do.
  15. gzsrks

gzsrks New Member

Could be the driveshaft center support bearing?? Just one other place to look.
  16. berg

berg New Member

Very curious as I recently bought a 99 GMC Sierra Classic 1500 4x4 Ext Cab and have the same weird chirping squeeling sound. Speed varies anywhere from 20-50mph, but only does it under power, not coasting in neutral. Any slight increase or decrease in speed and it stops. No other resistance to rolling, pulling side to side or anything.

Also noticed it really seems to start singing right around 1600-1800 rpm so I was thinking it may be a bad belt or pulley. Just replaced both the idler pulley, tensioner and pulley and belt tonight and no luck - still chirps and squeals.

The truck only has 50k miles on it and almost totally stock so I was doubting it would be wheel bearings. But maybe? These trucks look like they have a sealed bearing assembly? Not like the old trucks where you can pull them apart and repack them. I could be wrong - that is just by glancing at a parts catalog.

My u-joints also don't have any grease fittings but all feel tight. A little rusty maybe.

I haven't tried 4-hi to see if I still get the chirp and squeal but that will be my next test.

Man it is an annoying squeal though!
  17. berg

berg New Member

Just tried 4-hi and same problem immediately. Did a little 4-low and 4-high back and forth in a parking lot and then the squeal seemed to die down and stop for about 5-10 min of normal driving.

Weird; that leads me to believe the front diff or CV joints are getting dry? Or could just have been a fluke. I guess it still could be u-joints on the rear driveline. That will be by next target...

I just hate to start replacing things left and right until it's finally solved but I don't like paying shop mechanics either!
  18. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member

If you really want to isolate the rear driveshaft, take it out! Drive around in 4Hi for a little while.
  19. berg

berg New Member

Won't I blow tranny fluid all over the place when the rear driveline is out out - there wouldn't be a seal?
  20. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member

Yes, you would need to cap the transfer case. Duct tape might hold for a short test, or you could get a plumbing test cap at Home Depot/Lowes/hardware store. I think one for 2" PVC would be just about right.

Let us know if you try it.