1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

squeaks and chirps. what is it?????

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by 01chivyz71, Jun 6, 2009.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. 01chivyz71

01chivyz71 New Member

Ok, so i'll try over here.

I just purchased an 01 Silverado Z71 stepside. first [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]Chevy[/COLOR][/COLOR] ive ever owned:gasp:. the truck has 90,xxx miles on it and is in MINT condition. just one problem....something is squeaking! its a chirping noise. coincides with speed. does it in neutral. starts and stops without warning. not brake pads. and i also noticed that if i kick it into 4hi...the sound stops immediately, but usually starts back up a short time later. its not real loud....but noticable inside the cab, and out. my first instinct told me a bad [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]wheel[/COLOR][/COLOR] bearing, so i jacked the truck up and checked for any play. which there is none. it seems to be coming from more towards the front in the center. kinda where the tranny is. would the driveshafts be making this kind of noise???

any and all help would be appreciated
    thanks

p.s. Ive also noticed a slight chirp coming from the rear end whenever i give it gas from a stop. it also makes the sound when im going really slow (10-15mph) and hit the gas. and no its not the tires.

2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Does it do it in neutral idling or when you put it into drive? Does the noise change if you power brake it?

3. meash20

meash20 Rockstar

Great question!

I have a Jeep Commander that recently had the front drive shaft replaced.. It was chirping like a bird, at slow speed.

double check the differential fluid levels too...

-me-

4. 01chivyz71

01chivyz71 New Member

it only does it when im moving.

5. Jimmiee

That's where I'd be looking. A bad U Joint will chirp like a bird!

6. 01chivyz71

01chivyz71 New Member

is there any way i can check for a bad u-joint in my driveway? I really dont want to take it to the mechanic not knowing whats wrong with it. thats how you get screwed into paying for stuff you dont need to be paying for.

thanx

7. Jimmiee

You can jack up the rear wheels, chock the front so it wont move and run the rear wheels. Listen for the chirp. Also with the engine off and the transmission in Neutral you can usually see and feel a loose or bad u-joint. Make sure you do this on level ground and not on a sloped driveway.

8. 01chivyz71

01chivyz71 New Member

Thanx Jimmiee, i'll get that done ASAP and report back. :great:

9. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

U-joints are the first play to look. As others have said, chock the front whees, jack up one back tire and put the trans or case in neutral. Then you can spin the shaft by hand and really check for play, noise, and rust on the joints.

10. 01chivyz71

01chivyz71 New Member

Well i went ahead and jacked the read end up to check the read drive shaft joints. nothing seems to be wrong. no play...no noise. its not even rusty or worn looking at all. so i moved to the front driveshaft(where the noise seems to be comming from) and i did notice some play where the shaft goes into the transfer case. now im no expert so im not sure how much play there SHOULD be there. does the front drive shaft spin when im in 2HI?? this is my first 4x4 so im still learning.