1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Squeaks and Cracks and noise

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by ippielb, Jul 21, 2010.

1. ippielb

ippielb Active Member 1000 Posts

So, i just put all new ball joints, new wheel bearings, new CV axles, and new pitman arm, and the idler arm. I have new leaf springs that are going to be put on my truck, 6" lift springs from BDS, but anyways i drove my truck to the Calgary Stampede this weekend, drove nice, but during the 2500km round trip i drove, i got a few more problems, one is a squeaking, it sounds like its in the suspension, but i can't pin point the area, another is sounding like my brakes, so i took my pads off and cleaned them. The last noise is a cracking, it sounds like its coming from the right under where the cab and box meet, it's only when i accelerate. Could this be a U-Joint?
  2. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts

Sounds kinda like one from the way that you are describing it.. As for the new sqeeking that could be the bushings.
  3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts

If I remember you installed your lift kit with in the last year. Did you go back and retorque everything after you had 500 miles on the lift? If you did than go back and retorque again. I retorque mine once a year other wise it starts to squeek. They have alot of stress on them even with just street driving.
  4. ippielb

Yes, i did re torque everything, and here's whats puzzling me. I go under my truck with a pry bar, pry on my U-joints, and they dont even budge. They're solid. I try to spin my drive shaft with my hands, and it's solid too. It only makes the squeaking, sounds like rubber squeaking, only when i'm accelerating, or putting tension on my drive train, it doesn't squeak when i let off the gas, or when on the brakes. It's coming from directly below the center of my truck, where the cab and box meet. should i just go ahead and replace my U-joints? Or should i be worried that its my transmission, or transfer case?
  5. murdog94

I would replace the U-Joints if you havent done so before expecially. Usually you will get moisture in the needle bearings that will cause rust and then cause the squeek that you are describing. And not allow and play.
  6. ippielb

Exactly what it was, didn't expect to see all the needle bearings rusted into place, two of the grease holes on the bearing were plugged with rust, so every time i greased it, it only got to the other two cups. Since i was replacing one, i replaced both U-Joints, took off my brake calipers and greased up the free floating pins, found out the creaking when i touched the brakes was from the pins on the drivers side, they were getting dry.
  7. murdog94

Glad you got it figured out... Hope everything is nice and smooth again.