1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Squeaky door hinge

Discussion in 'Chevy Colorado Forum (GMC Canyon)' started by Trex, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Trex

Trex New Member

I have a 07 4wd Colorado that I really like, it's had no problems other than recently developed a very squeaky driver and less so passenger door hinge, or rather the flat bar in the center of the door between the actual hinges.I have tried WD40 and silicon sray with no results.The dealer said they may have to replace them on my next visit as I just went in with no appointment to ask about it.Has anyone had the same problem that they delt with succesfully on thier own?If I can fix it easily without replacement I would rather do that and save my favorite car company some money in hard times.
  2. 2ToNe04

2ToNe04 New Member 1000 Posts

put some white lithium greese on it.

or some wd-40 <<<< but later its going to wear away.

its just like shoes........ brand new shoes always squeek

just spray anything you think moves between the hinges and the door.
  3. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I had the same Problem on my Ride.On the driver side.I did everything you have done with no luck:grrrrrr:.I ended up replacing the piece you are talking about.It was not that hard it took me about 1/2 hr from start to finish.
  4. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts

WD40 will eventually go away and silicone attracts dirt, I got some reccomended stuff from carquest its a clearish brown color and has worked awesome
  5. Badbrad469

Badbrad469 New Member

that's what i use and do lol. white lithium grease works wonders!
  6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

One of the best but most overlooked lubricants for moving parts is Graphite, works great at stopping metal on metal squeeks.
    If you cant find a tube of it just scrape some from a pencil lead.
    I've used it to keep hinges and door lock mechanisms squeek free for years, it doesnt attract build up of other contaminants and keeps the area clean.
  7. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 New Member 1000 Posts

I second the graphite. That is the lubricant used for key locks.
  8. safetyfast

safetyfast New Member

There is a graphite impregnated oil that comes in a little tube. I use that to flow down around the pins. When I replace pins, I coat them in never-seize before reinstalling.