Squealing noise coming from somewhere around the belt- 305 Vortec

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by hammsfamms, Feb 8, 2011.

1. hammsfamms

hammsfamms Rockstar

I have a terrible squealing noise coming from my sepentine belt somewhere. It's a 1997 chevy c1500 2WD silverado. The engine is the 5.0L vortec V8 I already replaced the tensioner pulley and the belt itself and I'm running out of patience, because as everyone knows, a squealing truck is not cool. Any ideas people?

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

How about the idler pulley??

3. hammsfamms

hammsfamms Rockstar

I haven't checked the idler pulley, but i'm pretty sure its either the power steering pulley or the alternator. I read that sometimes it can even be that the belt is too wide for the alternator pulley, so if you shave it down a bit that stops it. If anyone knows of any truth to that, or any way to determine specifically which pulley it is, that would be cool. Thanks!

4. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

There is an chance the alternator is squalling.. Especially in the extream cold we have been having. It is possible to have it charge good, and have a bad bearing. im not thinking it is the power steering as long as you have enough fluid.

5. racekid91

racekid91 Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

Does your voltage meter on the dash drop when it starts to squeal? Because when mine did that it was the alternator. Replaced it with a Re manufactured ACDelco one and no problems since

6. hammsfamms

hammsfamms Rockstar

I'll check on that voltage meter as soon as i start my truck in a few minutes! The reason I thought it could be power steering pulley is because sometimes it doesn't start to squeal until I have to crank out a hard turn, or if i put it in reverse.

7. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

I would not try shaving the edge of the belt Hamms. If the belt is too wide for the pulleys you should be able to see that it is rubbing over the edges of one particular pulley, or all of them. Try & narrow it down to the alternator or the P S pump. Check the alignment of the PS & alt pulleys & see if it's rubbing on the edge of one of them. Also make sure they are both mounted securely because loose mounts will allow mis-alignment & allow the edge of the belt to rub on the edges of the pulley.

8. hammsfamms

hammsfamms Rockstar

Alright on saturday since the weather is supposed to be bearable here (right now the windchill is like-15) I'm gonna pop in a new idler pulley. if that doesn't work I'll throw in a new alternator. If that doesn't work i'm probably gonna sit in a corner and cry (or just take it to a professional). Thanks all!

9. hammsfamms

hammsfamms Rockstar

Idler pulley shut it up for the most part, but there's still another place its coming from. in the summer it never did this, except when it was raining. So cold and rain trigger it, and hard turns

10. hammsfamms

hammsfamms Rockstar

Update!

Finally got that god-awful noise to stop! So as I previously said, I replaced the idler pulley and tensioner pulley, both of which had bad bearings. But why did the noise simply change? Back to the first thing I did, replaced the serpentine belt. I told autozone I have a 5.0L vortec with a 105Amp alternator and AC. They gave me the belt size for the 140amp alternator! So the belt I had, though brand new, was too big and couldn't get enough tension when there were high loads on it!

Took care of that yesterday and I couldn't be happier; my truck finally doesn't squeal like a pig everytime I put it into gear or crank out a hard turn!