1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Squeel in a/c

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by BIGREDDADDY53, Jul 17, 2013.

1. BIGREDDADDY53

BIGREDDADDY53 Rockstar 100 Posts

I have 2003 Tahoe LT with 5.3L engine, I have a bad squeal when the A/C is turned on. Last year I replaced the fan belt about six months ago. Would replacing the tenser fix the squeal. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Guys and girls, Eric

2. marksoldtowne

marksoldtowne Member 1 Year

hi
    Belts under the hood are exposed to high temperature, dirt, water, oil, and high tension. As they age, they get brittle, they crack, they develop a glaze, and they slip. If they start to squeal, you can either tighten them or replace them. Replacing them is the better option, because once they start squealing, they don't have much life left. You can only tighten them so much before they are too tight. If they are too tight they may snap, and they can damage the compressor bearings.

3. BIGREDDADDY53

I was told that you should replace the tensioner as well, the belt is not even 6 months old. What do you think Mark

4. Dana W

Dana W Member 2 Years 100 Posts

You sure it's under the hood. Mine started sqealing. Turned out to be a failing bearing in my blower motor. Then again, it's pretty obviouswhen the screaming is coming out of the vents.:happy:

5. BIGREDDADDY53

The only time when the squealing happens is when I turn on the air. Eric

6. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Could very well be the tensioner. Have you Turned on the engine and A/C and left it in park and gotten out and tried to pinpoint the sound in the engine bay or have you only heard it in the cab while driving?

7. darnie1987

darnie1987 Rockstar 100 Posts

sounds like a blower motor to me...?

8. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I have to assume the Tahoe/Suburban is set up the same way on a 5.3 as the Silverado, but there is a secondary belt for the AC, it is not a true one belt system. The AC compressor sat at the bottom of the motor on my 99 5.3 and was run off of a thin little belt, which surprised me being my 99 Suburban (although a 350 and old body style) was a one belt system.

9. BIGREDDADDY53

In the spring I replaced that second belt and it was about six weeks later that the squealing started, I will order the parts next month with my 5 year old being sick I have to but just a few parts per month. Thanks Boys