1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

stabbing a distributer

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by yukonrems, Apr 2, 2011.

1. yukonrems

yukonrems New Member

I have a 1995 GMC Yukon vin K. This is a replacement engine (used). I need to restab the dist. I have a very rough idle and I beleve the dist is off. How do you point the dist with #1 at tdc? The wires could be anywhere around the cap correct? As long as #1 goes to #1? Please give me a clue. Right now #1 and #8 are front of the dist. not exactly across but somewhat. The module is closer to straight than 1 and 8.
  2. mhypertext

mhypertext Member

Yes Number on the the Compression stroke. Stick you finger in the spank plug hole to block it off when air pushes your finger out thats the compression stroke then just check your distrib and u should be close to #1 if not your are 180 degrees out
  3. yukonrems

yukonrems New Member

It wouldnt run at all then correct?
  4. mhypertext

mhypertext Member

you are prolly just a tooth or 2 off
  5. daddytech

daddytech Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

have to take the cap off and make sure the rotor is pointing at #1 if not have to fiddle with it till you get it right. on the newer trucks it can be 1-5 teeth off and still work right because the computer can advance or retard the timing as much a 25 degrees and still run but it's recommended that if it's more than 13 degrees off you try again. 13 degrees before or after the computers have no problem adjusting it any more than that some can still do it but it will never run exactly right.