1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Stabilitrak&traction control problem!!!

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by MLouis, Jun 12, 2013.

1. MLouis

MLouis New Member

Alright so having an issues with my 2007 silverado Z71
    I was in bad traffic on the interstate and was stopping and starting and just creeping along. Well I took off one time and got to about 1500 Rpms and the whole truck jolted pretty bad, then my engine light came on and it said service stabilitrak and traction control. Now every time I take off slow from say a red light. It will jolt the truck. It's got 115k miles on it

My truck has some aftermarket things done

Flowmaster exaust
    Spectre cold air intake.
    20" rims & big tires

Please help me figure out what to do!

2. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

Did you try and disable Stabilitrak and traction control? I'm not sure about the 2007 models, but on my 2013 you hold the TC button for ~10 seconds.

3. buckmeister2

buckmeister2 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

I have no exp with stabilitrak or traccontrol, but what he describes sounds a lot like a bad torque converter. I will be interested in finding out what it is.

4. 3Horses

3Horses New Member

I have a 2011 Chevy Silverado 1500 with the 4.3L, This past March 2013 with a bit over 52,000 miles on the Odometer. While on my road trip to a horse fair my truck started to display "Service Stabilitrak", "Service Traction Control", "Engine Power Is Reduced" Check Engine Light on, Traction Control Light On. My top speed dropped to approx. 40 mph and she ran poorly at idle, transmission shifted really hard/acted erratic. I limped it to a Chevy Dealer in Springfield, IL where I was at the time. They hook up a scan tool and found codes P2135 and P0121. They traced the issue to a faulty Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). They replaced the sensor, reprogrammed the ECM and reset the idle speed. That fixed the problem, now I have a bit over 60,000 miles and that issue never returned, nor have I had any other issues with my truck. GM has been having issues with this TPS sensor and they use the same sensor on many different engines. They fail at random millage and cause this issue, the new TPS is a redesigned version to eliminate this issue.

When the TPS fails it causes these issues, Per the service adviser Since the sensor failed the PCM uses signals from the throttle pedal and I think feed back from the throttle motor to now control the throttle. Reason for reduced power is just to keep the truck from speeding out of control if the throttle were to go wide open. Also this allows you to drive to a safe area, rather then get stuck on the side of the road. Like when mine failed I was in the middle of no where and it was cold and snowing. It cost me $257 to fix and I thank Friendly Chevrolet in Springfield, IL for the great service taking care of me and out of state'r on a crappy snowy day, showing up unexpectedly. Hope this helps you.

5. XS ive

XS ive Rockstar 100 Posts

I had a similiar issue which turned out to be chafing/shorting wires behind the power adjustable brake pedal assembly.