stability trac confusion question

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by original68, Dec 26, 2011.

1. original68

original68 New Member

i have a 2005 yukon xl with traction control and stability trac awd. on the left side of the instrument panel are 3 buttons. for nornal driving what light should be lit up. for many years the middle button yellow light was always on. recently the middle button yellow light has been switching off automatically and the red N(NEUTRAL) has been coming on(with a cycling of the ignition/start up). the N(NEUTRAL) is between the top and middle button. I read the manual and it does not say which light is on for nornal driving. can someone enlighten me to the correct operating position for the buttons. if the middle button (yellow light on)is not correct than I have been driving for many years in the wrong mode. I stared the car to take a picture of the buttons and the middle light is back on ( this does not make sense) what would cause the lights to automatically switch between N(RED) AND THE middle (yellow light ) button when the engine is turned off and than back on under normal driving conditions.

2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

are there pictures on the buttons because its hard to understand what u mean. i own a 96 and dont have those buttons mine are just 2wd high, 4wd high, and 4wd low. can u please provide picture that will make it slightly easier to help.

srry this post isnt very helpful but id still love to help

3. original68

original68 New Member

photo of buttons

when i turned on the engine it went back to red neutral

Attached Files:

4. Conlan Rose

ok one u have been driving in the right mode i just read the manual for your truck. it seem ur truck is putting it self in neutral. it is possible that your awd system has an electrical fault. have tried to see it the truck will shift in to drive and move when the neutral light is on

5. original68

original68 New Member

it drives the same with the red light on or the yellow light on(middle button)

6. Conlan Rose

yah then there's defenentlly an electrical fault because in theory if neutral is engaged there should be no power going to the wheels. your choice on if u wanna fix it your self or bring it to dealer/shop to get it fixed. personally id bring it to dealer and explain the problem to them.

7. original68

original68 New Member

thanks for the help

dealer says probably a transfer case actuator $900, its ok it is under extended warranty

8. Conlan Rose

no problem always happy to help a fellow gm truck owner. glad it under warranty!