1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Stabilizer bar end link- how the heck do I get it off? Grease CV axle spline?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Family Force 6, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Family Force 6

Family Force 6 New Member

My right side CV axle needs replaced and I have everything apart but can't slide it out due to clearance between shock and stabilizer bar end link. When I went to take the end link off there is an access hole in the lower control arm to the bottom of the bolt. The only problem is that I can't get my deep wall socket in there due to angle of the end link bolt (it's not straight up and down). How am I supposed to get that off? Would I be better off removing the shock?
    Also, I had to apply heat to the axle nut to get it off. It looks like there is bearing grease in the hub area. In other posts regarding removal of CV axle I haven't seen anyone mention replacing this grease (or is just the grease that leaked out from my CV axle boot?). Should I clean with solvent and pack with some bearing grease?
    Thanks for any help!
    FF6
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts

I think your end link is at a angle because you have the front jacked up and the tire off letting the lower control arm and bar droop. Try jacking up the lower control arm a little to get the pressure of the sway bar end link. No you don't need to grease the axle hub. I do put anti-seize on so if I have to remove again.
  3. Family Force 6

I did put the wheel back on and lowered the vehicle, but I still couldn't get a socket on it. I'll try using a jack under the control arm to straighten it out. Is it possible that a bushing has slipped partially through the lower control arm hole, causing that angle? As a last resort would I want to cut that link in 1/2 and remove it in pieces? Ugghh seems whenever I'm working on this thing there's always some wrinkle that makes it take longer than it should!
  4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts

It could be that the bushings are worn, but try jacking up the control arm to take pressure of it.
  5. Family Force 6

After messing around with the end link for a while longer I decided to remove the shock and it went fine from that point.
    I don't think the end link bolt was going to come out without removing the upper control arm- it was blocking the bolt. Additionally the small access hole in the lower control arm to get to the nut made it difficult to take that off. It took way too long!

Additional comments/questions:
    I had been hearing a "ticking" noise with wheel speed (especially noticeable @ low speeds) for a while. It seems that the noise is significantly softer, but is still there. I'm thinking the other CV axle is probably about to go out. Is there a sure-fire way to determine the integrity of the CV?

When I pulled my old CV axle out it had a metal dust shield that fit against the inside of the hub, my remanufactured one didn't. There appears to be a very small gap between the cv axle and the inside of the hub. Is this a problem?

At least its drivable now- being down to one car for a family of 6 with kids in sports is no fun!

FF6