Stainless or black

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by darkness-lies-, Jan 16, 2012.

1. dadngt

dadngt Rockstar 100 Posts

I'm not a fan of the step rails (just my opinion) but if you don't want them to stand out the go with black. But you do have enough chrome accents to be able to go with stainless. My dad has some stainless rails on his truck & just about every dealer installed chrome accent available on a white Z71 & as much as I don't like chrome (also) his truck looks good. GO STAINLESS! Have fun truck looks good.

2. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

Stainless if you want to show it off. Black if you want to use it for a getaway vehicle. Stealth mode!

Are you going to losd anything heavy in the bed? I wouldnt lower it if you plan to haul. Larger wheels and tires will help fill the empty spot.

Good luck and add pics when you decide and complete

3. darkness-lies-

darkness-lies- Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Thanks everyone. y'all gave some things to think about. Wont be doing this for a bit< getting an idea for how much money i need to save> next thing im gonna do is headlights. Oh and any advice for a cold air intake? just started looking at them.

4. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Unless you also go with a custom tune (and even then), I wouldn't waste your money on a cold air intake. Unless you have the skinny pedal on the floor at all times, they are pretty much useless. I'd just stick a K&N replacement air filter in your stock box and save your money for other mods.

5. Jackalope

Jackalope New Member

I think, with any vehicle, you have to have a plan...where do you want to end up? You've got chrome trim over the wheel wells, chrome on the body side molding, chrome on your bed rails and stainless wheels. Unless you plan to make some changes to black out much of the chrome you already have, I'd go with the stainless. I don't think black would look right with all that chrome you already have.

6. Warped5

Warped5 New Member

My vote's with the stainless nerf bars ..

7. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Polished stainless also has the advantage of handling the rock chips and scuffs you will INVARIABLY get when driving on gravel roads much better than black powder coat. It'll keep its look longer, as it's stainless and shouldn't rust -- whereas black powder coat will chip and then rust if you don't touch it up.

I like not having to touch up my bars, at all. Lower maintenance is always a plus...