1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Standard tranny swap?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Hancocker, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Hancocker

Hancocker New Member

Hey my names Adrian. I own a 93 chevy silverado 4x4 with a crate 350 and a 700r4 auto transmission. the other day i lost reverse and od. the tranny fluid was full but it was dark brown... not a tint of red. so i assume theres not much i can do besides a rebuild or a new tranny. I was thinkin about making my truck standard and i figure now would be the time to do it. I know all the work thats involved i just dont know what standard transmission to look for? i couldnt find n e thing on google about a transmission list or what tranny fits what engine. Can n e one help me out?
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  2. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

you will need a lot of other parts. Full clutch assembly(pedal, clutch master cylinder etc) tranny, possibly different axle and t-case if the manual tranny is different length than the auto. 93 also has some computer stuff so an ECM swap from the manual tranny I would assume as well. i would say it would be easier to just find a running manual truck
  3. Hancocker

Hancocker New Member

yes i can handle all that except the axle and t-case... i could handle that but im not looking to swap them too... but i either can do all that... and i know someone who can work on my ecu so none of thats a problem really and im not 100% sure im gunna make it standard i just wanna know if i were to look into it what transmission should i be looking for?
  4. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

NV4500 (light duty, P/U and SUVs)is what you would be looking for, the NV3500 is for medium duty trucks
  5. Ethan17

Ethan17 New Member

if i'm not mistaken the nv4500 is the manual used in the 2500's and the nv3500 is the one offered in the 1500, me and my father both drive 1500's with the nv3500.
  6. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I would stick with the automatic myself but either a NV 3500 or NV 4500 would work. The NV 4500 is a HD 5 speed with a granny low which you would only use occasionally where the 3500 is a regular 5 speed.