Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Started de-badging...

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by bigburb, Jan 6, 2010.

1. bigburb

bigburb Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

Well, I got bored today and had been thinking about debadging for a while. Since I had loads of time to kill, I figured I would start with the tailgate. I wasn't particularly fond of the big ol' CHEVROLET across the back, so I pulled it off (didn't use any heat or anything, left a surprisingly little amount of glue/tape). I took the tailgate off, set it on a couple of stands, and got to work. I got most of the glue off with a mixture of Automotive Goo-Gone, Goof-off, soap & water, and some rubbing with my tumbs (ouch!).

I think it looks much better now. My tailgate and bed are both pretty heavily covered in minor scratches/scuffs, which you can (sort of) see in the pics. There is still two lines form the top and bottom of the emblem I can't seem to get off. It's not glue or tape or two big scratches. It's just... idk, a line on the paint from the emblem. Any suggestions for this?

I'm debating on whether or not I should do the whole truck. Your thoughts?

Before:
    [​IMG]

After (removed the emblem, Dellenbaugh Chevrolet emblem, and Corbett Auto sticker):
    [​IMG]

2. tnhusker

tnhusker Rockstar

I would try a good wax and buff. Then if it doesn't clear it all the way it might minimize it.

3. bigburb

I know the whole truck needs a REALLY god wax and buff lol. I waxed the tailgate, but it was just a quick half-assed job with no real buffing. I need one of those eraser wheels, but I'm flat broke...

4. canislupis69

canislupis69 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

What about a rubbing compound followed up by a good wax?

5. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

starterd de-badging

Tailgate looks much better. I would do rest of truck. Debadged my 96 Suburban,05 Silverado and wifes Trailblazer. All looked alot cleaner.

6. Murdered-Knight

Murdered-Knight Member ROTM Winner

Unfortunately your truck has some years on it, and in my experience the paint has just slightly faded. You prolly wont be able to get it all off, but wax'ing it will DEF help. Good luck. :great:

7. TritonBoulder47

TritonBoulder47 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I did this with my '95 Tahoe...

Before...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The following is what was removed:
    - All Badges and Emblems
    - All Side Mouldings
    - All Wheel Well Trim

Plus I installed a smooth front bumper...

IMHO trucks look soo much better "naked"... :great:

8. bigburb

I know I can't make it look perfect, but I'm givin' her all the help I can!! 20 years and 182k takes it toll on a truck haha. There doesn't seem to be a real noticable difference in the tones of paint, at least not that I've seen (yet).

We got another 4" of snow here today, so it might be a few months at least before it's worth giving her a real good wax/buff all over. It's on my list when the weather is nice enough, though. There's a lot of scuffs and scratches that I think could be taken care of with a good waxing.

I came across a picture of chevyboy96's black 96 ext. cab (like mine, just newer and nicer :lol:) that had been debadged including the trim along the bottom. Once I saw that, my mind was set - tomorrow, I'm bustin out the hair dryer (or propane torch if the need arises), the lawn chair, and whatever other tools I may need to get the job done. :party:

@TritonBoulder - That's a nice 'hoe! A cowl hood, widshield visor w/clearance lights, and upgraded head/marker/brake lights are on my list of mods to do, along with about a million other things. Ah, if only I had the money...

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  9. TritonBoulder47

TritonBoulder47 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

True that bro... I have a ton of stuff on the list for my Av...

10. Shmeag

Shmeag Rockstar

I know how that goes I just recently had my tranny rebuilt twice, water pump replaced and oil cooler lines replaced. And to top it off now my alignment is off so im too broke to add anything to my truck lately. but Your tailgate looks good. seems like a cheep easy way to completely change the look of your truck. nice:great: