Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Starter clicks but wont crank

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by 4x4suburbans, May 19, 2013.

1. 4x4suburbans

4x4suburbans New Member

This is my first post so here goes.

98' Suburban 2500 454

I dove about 100 miles today stop and start multiple times then i get home listen to the radio for about 3 hours and burban wont start. The starter motor clicks but wont crank.

I just got new bat last week, amp are at normal level(even tried to jump start but not needed)
    I checked all the fuses and replays. Batt cables not corroded.

When i was cleaning the starter (thought all the mudd might affect connections) a small rubber thing fell off the bottom of the starter where theres a hole. dont know what that was or iff its relevant just thought i should let yall know.

I think its the starter but I wana c if yall have any ideas before i go spending 130 on a new starter.

2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Do the Ol' Hammer trick.. Hit it on the Solenoid while someone is turning the key. It may be stuck..

3. 4x4suburbans

4x4suburbans New Member

The hitting of the hammer worked!!!! So should I replace that part?

also should the check engine light come on?

4. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

65 -==ot sure where to go from there.. I always -just hit it a few times and it was fine..

5. Family Force 6

Family Force 6 Rockstar 100 Posts

Most likely you will need to replace the starter solenoid, especially as we head in to summer. Heat will make it worse and you don't want to be stranded. I think you can replace the solenoid without even removing the starter. However, it might not be a bad idea to take the whole unit it in to an auto parts store and have it bench tested.