1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

starter motor problem with 1998 s10

Discussion in 'Chevy S10 Forum (GMC Sonoma)' started by s101998dan, Apr 21, 2010.

Random Gallery Photos

1. s101998dan

s101998dan New Member

I cannot figure out what is wrong with my truck but it seems that it goes through alot of starter motors since i have gotten the truck a year ago. It is my first truck and i don't understand why it is burning through so many starter motors. One person said that it could be something to do with my flywheel or maybe that the starter motor does not mesh up with the flywheel properly. If it help i have the 2.2L 4 cylinder. The truck has gone through 4 starter motors since i have bought the truck. It would be great if anyone can help me out or inform me how to go about fixing what is wrong.
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Incorrect adjustment of the starter motor could be the problem.
    Pull the starter and check the teeth on the flywheel and the starter to make sure they arent showing excessive wear.
    New starters usually come with shims to space the starter correctly. Also look to see if the starter bolts are correctly tourqed.
  3. s101998dan

s101998dan New Member

Can i pick up a set of shims for the starter motor and would it matter the brand of starter motor? And my other question is how do i check the flywheel with out having to take the flywheel out and inspecting it cause you can only see the flywheel where it stopped when you turned the truck off.
  4. wis bang

wis bang New Member 100 Posts

Can't you remove the inspection cover, it will let you see 1/3rd of the flywheel and let you shine a light to see most of it...

The engine always stops on a compression stroke so the starter is always hitting the same general 6 or 8 places...I had to replace the starter ring on a 78 Datsun flywheel and most fo the wear was at two opposing locations so it stopped, most of the time, at two of four possible spots...

You can buy chevy starter shims at most auto parts shops...
  5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Yep as per the previous post you can remove the insp cover, then hit the starter for a sec or two to rotate the flywheel and inspect more of it.