1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Starter replacement

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by cliffdavis1, Dec 14, 2009.

1. cliffdavis1

cliffdavis1 New Member

2003 suburban, trying to change the starter but i can't get it to clear the bell housing. Won't pull out far enough, wires are still attached. Do I have to unhook them first? I can barely even see the connections let alone get a wrench on them.
  2. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I did mine 3 month ago,,,and yes...its easyer to unhook the wires, on mine i unhooked them from the top .

ITS A PITA:erf:
  3. cliffdavis1

cliffdavis1 New Member

Pain in the a**. Should have paid someone. How did you get to them from the top? I can barely see them through the wheel well.
  4. cliffdavis1

cliffdavis1 New Member

I put it back in and ended up going to my local mechanic. Glad I did, Auto Zone had given me the wrong starter to begin with. My mechanic laughed at the auto zone starter. He said it was a piece of sh**. He got me a Delco starter for just 20 bucks more and 70 for the install. I learned a lesson about Auto Zone!