1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

starter wont turn help?? 2003 Sierra

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by 89steveo50, Feb 2, 2013.

1. 89steveo50

89steveo50 Rockstar

So i got an 03' 2500HD gmc sierra 6.0

This is my issue-
    When I turn the key, nothing at all happens, Lights turn on but starter wont tick.
    The battery is good, fully charged.
    I checked all fuses and connections, all is well.
    The starter does work, I brought to napa to test, and works perfectly.
    The starter won't budge. I checked for power, and it seems to be getting power.
    IS there anything that I am missing?
  2. dpeter

dpeter Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

There will be power at the starter at all times that comes directly from the battery. Check for voltage at the solenoid terminal on the starter when you attempt to start it, if you got it then the starter is at fault, if not then start tracing back and find out where you lost it. Have you checked the relays under the hood? Also there are THREE fuses that need to be good, IGN C 20amp, IGN A 40 amp and the CRANK fuse at 10 amps
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  3. 89steveo50

89steveo50 Rockstar

I know there is power going to it and I know the starter solenoids work. but I believe i checked all the fuse's. Ill be double checking it on monday. I also went to the ignition key and Im getting constant power from the red wire and im getting power from the yellow wire when the key is in start position. So there i know the key works and theres power. But like i said ill double, triple check on monday all fuse's and relays
  4. dpeter

dpeter Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

I would break it down to two circuits to deal with. First being getting power to the start relay and then second is to get power to the starter through the relay. 1- The ignition fuses should be hot all the time so check with a meter to verify that and the 10 amp crank fuse will only have voltage when the key is in the start position. if that all checks out then see if the relay is getting power, if not then you may have a malfunctioning park/nuetral switch. If you have power to the relay then swap it out for another to see if it works, if so then you've found your problem and if not then check the 40 amp ign A fuse and the wiring to the starter to find out where you lose it.
    I base this advice on the wiring diagrams in a Haynes manual for the 99 to 06 trucks and I have found them to be fairly accurate.
  5. Pikey

Pikey Active Member Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Have you done anything to it recently? A programmer or anything like that? When I install the program on my truck it does the exact same thing. It is the security system. I have to disconnect the battery for 15 minutes. I reconnect it and it starts fine.
  6. 89steveo50

89steveo50 Rockstar

Im gonna certainly try that. I haven't checked the park, neutral switch yet.
  7. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

If you are totally sure there is power at the solenoid and you are totally sure the solenoid is good, you have a bad starter.

If the above is true, you have no need to check the P/N switch.
  8. 89steveo50

89steveo50 Rockstar

So this is what i figure out tonight. ALL fuse's and relays work. I am getting 7 volts from the bolt that is the main lead for the starter ( batter to starter) the purple wire( the wire that comes and from the relay to the starter) how ever is getting no power. I tried checkin the points on the relay and underneath the relay ( the mesh of wires) but i wasn't able to get an accurate reading. After looking at the diagram everything is leading to the p/n swtich and clutch. I don't know where exactly that is but looking it up on all data tomorrow.
  9. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Try a new relay, you can not see the contacts.

Look for one that is the same in the fuse panel and try it.
  10. 89steveo50

89steveo50 Rockstar

tried it, swapped it out with my truck, and both work just fine. What i'm gonna try now is seeing if the purple wire gets ANY power and if so, check at the lead on starter, if thats working, then i gotta put a new one in