1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Starting issues: Need help ASAP!

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by Kenny_k82, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Kenny_k82

Kenny_k82 New Member

Hey guys, I have a 1997 gmc sierra 1500. 4.3L 2X4. So the truck has been running great for 6 months. At one point months ago it kept turning over but wouldn't start. I changed the fuel filter and boom it fired right up no problems. A month ago I got off of work and tried to start my truck, The running lights and radio turned on when the key was forward but when I turned the key to start the truck there was nothing. No click, no turning over, nothing. I sat there for 10 minutes and started turning the key over and over out of frustration and it magically turned over and started. It has started with no issues since. Last night I got off of work and it's doing the same thing again. I can hear the fuel pump kick on when I turn the key, and sometimes I get a click from the starter and sometimes I dont but it wont turn over at all. I work for the railroad and I"m on call 24/7 without a vehicle. Any ideas as to what it could be? I'm thinking starter or ignition, the problem is I'm short on time and I'm thinking I might have to have it towed somewhere to get it fixed but with electrical issues I'm afraid of getting hosed. Also, the headlights come on bright and the battery seems to have a good charge, the daytime running lights click off when I turn the key to start it and promptly turn back on after I stop pushing the key forward.

- - - Updated - - -

Ugh, typo. It's a 1998!
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

How old is the battery? Are the battery cables good? I've had similar issues in the past with a battery that's on it's last legs and loose/frayed/corroded cables that aren't making a good circuit. Those are the first places to start with a problem like this, IMHO.
  3. Kenny_k82

Kenny_k82 New Member

The cables and battery are only about 4 months old.
  4. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Then it is probably the starter.

Pull it and have it tested.
  5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Even though their new step 1 is check the battery connections, look for corrosion and ensure the connections are tight.
    Did you attempt to jump start?
    Since you have some functions and hear the solenoid clicking I'd suspect a connection problem, check the connections at the starter too.
  6. Kenny_k82

Kenny_k82 New Member

Cleaned the terminals, tried jumping to no avail. Came back to the pickup a day later and it magically started up. I got it home and it acted up again. I replaced the entire ignition module and it has been fine since. I'm hoping it doesn't leave me stranded again, but it's looking fine at the moment. Thanks for the input guys.
  7. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Hopefully the ignition module works. If not look into the starter and triple check connections (to starter and grounds).