1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Starting issues on my 99 suburban

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by jaypilot00, Aug 3, 2013.

1. jaypilot00

jaypilot00 New Member

Hello, new to site. I have a 99 suburban best truck I've ever had but I'm having starting trouble. I did a full tune up about 6 months ago when It was starting hard, problem seemed to go away. Now It overheated twice due to broken fittings on the heater hoses. Fixed that and it ran fine for a few days, now it won't start at all. fuel pressure holds at 55-60 psi, doing a compression test tomorrow. no water in the oil and doesn't appear to be any in the cylinders. any ideas would be great.

2. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Are the spark plugs firing?

3. donyms

donyms Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club, it's great to have you aboard. :glasses:

4. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the Club!!!

I moved your thread to the correct section of our Forum and changed your title slightly to more match your topic. In doing so, this will help you get more responses/opinions.

5. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Low compression on one, even two, cylinders should not stop it from starting. It should start and run bad.

You need fuel, air and spark.

Your fuel pressure suggests the pump is good, can you hear it running when the key is first turned on. It should run for a short time and stop.

A plugged air filter, and/or, a plug in the pipe between the filter and the throttle body, will starve it for air (but it should start and stop soon after).

Spark. Are you getting coil voltage to the plugs?

While typing, I'm thinking I need to clarify what is happening.

Your post sounds like it cranks, but won't start. Or, are you having trouble getting the starter to spin the engine?

6. jaypilot00

jaypilot00 New Member

starting issues 99 suburban

Thanks for the reply, plugs were firing but not hot enough I took off the dist cap lots of carbon deposits on the cap and the rotor, cleaned it up put it back on started right up. Just can't figure out what caused that to happen replaced both 6 months ago.

7. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Water inside the cap will cause that.

Should be two vent holes to keep the moisture out.