starting issues

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by Mike86wrangler, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Mike86wrangler

Mike86wrangler New Member

I have an 86 chevrolet wrangler with a 305. My issue is i have replaced the battery and the starter cause it used to start the majority of the time fine but the other times the starter would click a few times with each trn of the key and turn over slowly like the starter was on the way out so i changed it and the batt.It started fine for the first whille now its doing it again.i have checked the timing and set it to 6 degrees like the sticker on the rad cradle said to now it also "diesles" when i shut it off the odd time. with 340,000 kms on it is that where the timing should be set to and could it being set there be the reason it dont like to start all the time? i can always get it to start and it does run nice other than these 2 little issuesand where should i set the timing to?

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would take a good look at the cables from the battery. If they are original there is a good chance that they have a lot of interior corrosion causing a raised resistance. Check both the positive and negative cables

3. 130195

130195 New Member

When was the last time you replaced spark plugs, cap and rotor ?

ChevyFan likes this.
  4. Mike86wrangler

The batt cables could be but the wires and plugs maybe the cables, would it not do it all the time? It turns over most times fine but the odd time like the batt is dead so I try again the it cranks and fires up quick. I thought timing, when I did the timing I set it to 6 deg adv BUT I forgot to take off the vac adv off the distributor so I have to redo that properly could that be the issue?

5. Mike86wrangler

replaced the starter under warrenty ( after i checked and tested everything else) and she cranks over and starts everytime like day one. checked the timing and dead in at 6 degrees btdc. problem was bad starter. just because its new doesn mean it good i guess.

6. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

was it a reman or was it new? what brand?

7. Mike86wrangler

it was a reman. i dont remember the name but ill let ya know, i think it was a wilson.they tried to sell me one that was new style with a real small motor but was suppose to be just as powerfull but the wires didnt reach the starter in the truck.