Starting problem

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by dennis24, May 22, 2012.

1. dennis24

dennis24 New Member

Hello out there,

I have a 98 Chevy Z-71 With a 350. It has trouble starting. It acts like the battery is dead, it turns over once or twice and then nothing. Battery has been tested and is fully charged. I checked and cleaned all connections. When i turn key on it only registers about half of what it should on dash gauge. I jumped it off and ran it for awhile but it wouldnt crank after I shut it off.
    Any help I can get would be appreciated.

Thank you

2. kw70chevy

kw70chevy Member

check your starter may be bad

3. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Assuming you mean voltage on the so-called volt-meter? If we assume that volt-meter is reading right (which is a big if), then I would be tempted to get a good voltmeter out and start checking the main battery cables. Even if the connections are clean and tight, there could be corrosion inside the cables causing a large voltage drop across the cables. Check voltage drop and/or resistance of the main cables.

4. kw70chevy

kw70chevy Member

mine only reads half way when i turn my key on to till you crank it . if you half to jump start it to get it to crank your starter is pulling to many volts. plus the current goes through your silonoind and back to your alt. if the starter aint ever been changed change it

---------- Post added at 10:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 PM ----------

another thing you can do is get you a jumper wire get under your truck touch the pos cable to the start side see if turns over .take a hammer pop the starter the soilnoined is probley stuck.