Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Starting Problems

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by topdoc71, Oct 3, 2009.

1. topdoc71

topdoc71 New Member

I recently purchased a 1999 Chevy Silverado with a 4.8L V8. Sometimes when I turn it over to start it cranks for a bit and i have to give it gas to start it. Its not all the time but most.

Any suggestions??
    Thank you
    Scott

2. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Engine with port injection shouldn't need to be "gassed" to start. When you pump the throttle it gives the engine a shot of gas. I'd start with a check of the fuel pressure. Pressure should be 55-62 PSI (Pounds per Square Inch) Also, you might want to run some injector cleaner through the system. How does the vehicle run otherwise?

3. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

my bet is on the fuel pressure regulator, if it is leaking at all it can cause extended cranking time

4. CarpenterGuy

CarpenterGuy Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

i agree with the above. its either the fuel pressure or the injectors.