Starting problems...

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Silverado1500, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Silverado1500

Silverado1500 Rockstar 100 Posts

The 2000 chevy is having some problems on startup. once it starts, it idles real low and sounds like its about to cut off. after i give it some gas, it sounds normal. what could this be?? another thing is if i start it, turn it off, and start it again, it starts like it should. just started having this problem today.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  2. hundojoe

hundojoe Rockstar 100 Posts

Fuel pressure regulator is shot. pull the vacuum line, if gas squirts out the diaphram inside is shot. It is located in the middle of the drivers side fuel rail, its about as round as a half dollar and silver in color with a small vacuum line coming off of it.

3. Silverado1500

how much do these regulators cost?
    around 150?

4. hundojoe

No, right around 50 bucks

5. Silverado1500

is there a DIY on how to replace these?

6. hundojoe

Its really simple, if your standing at the drivers side fender with the hood open below the beauty cover, not under you will find the fuel rail. Right in the middle of the rail you will see a half dollar size round peice with a small vacuum line coming off the top, gently pull this line off, if gas squirts out thats deffinatly the problem. Anyway there is spring clip that holds it in place, with your fingers pry it apart from the bottom, then the fuel pressure regulater should pull out, make sure when it comes out the filter and small o-ring come with it [o-ring is about 1/8" dia] if the o-ring is not there its either in the fuel rail or it fell down inside the rail,then fish it out with a small pic, installition is just the reverse, but wipe a small amount of oil on the larger o-ring to help it seat and not tear. Its really easy fix. Good luck.

7. Silverado1500

thanks bro. before doing all this. should i get my fuel pressure tested? or is that not necessary

8. hundojoe

Not necessary.

9. MightyMax

MightyMax Rockstar 100 Posts

Does a '91 Silverado have the same regulator?

10. hundojoe

No it does not because a 91 is TBI injection, it has a totally different setup.