starts and dies

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by paidtofit, Jan 23, 2010.

1. paidtofit

paidtofit New Member

I have a 98 GMC K1500 4x4 5.7 it will start then die after a second or so. My security light goes off the fuel pump will run , I replaced the fuel filter ,checked the relays in the fuse box and nothing changes. My oil pressure reaches about 40 or so before it dies at around a 1000 rpm I have not checked the mass air flow sensor and I did check the crankshaft position sensor, looked at and cleaned the dist cap and rotor. Any suggestions would be great . I have not checked the fuel pressure yet either. I looked at the mass air sensor , it looked fine and I also sprayed starting fluid into the air inlet after the air filter and tried starting the truck and it ran twice as long until it ran out of the fluid I am thinking my fuel pump is either weak or the filter in the tank is pluged . Still looking.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  2. azdrtdog

azdrtdog Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

Is the security light flashing

3. paidtofit

paidtofit New Member

No my security light comes on when I turn the ignition on and shuts off after maybe 30secs to a minute and my key is just a plain key without a security chip in it that I can see. I tried my diagnostic reader and it has a linking failure and won't tell me any codes.

4. Chevyboy96

Chevyboy96 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 100 Posts

Might want to see how much fuel pressure you have.

5. paidtofit

paidtofit New Member

I was able to check my pressure and it is almost 70# when I first turn my key on and the pump runs a few seconds and shuts off. Then as soon as it shuts off my pressure starts dropping to zero. When I turn the key over and start the truck it is around 60 - 65 # and drops to zero after my truck dies . Not sure if my check valve is bad and it won't keep pressure? Hopefully it's not my pressure regulator . Any clues as to where I should look further ?

6. jamesretzolk

jamesretzolk New Member

you probaly have it fixed by now but you might check your oil pressure sender

7. getawaycars

getawaycars New Member

Did you fix this? My 97 Suburban 5.7 has a similar issue.

8. paidtofit

paidtofit New Member

No I haven't fixed it yet , but where do you find the oil pressure switch since it might just be a bad connection? Cause something is basically telling my fuel pump to not to run after the initial run when you turn the key. I tried doing some searching for the switch on the internet but I can't find location just ones they want to sell me. Any help would be great. Thanks Ken:great:

9. paidtofit

paidtofit New Member

No I am still trying to fix it seems like my fuel pump isn't being told to run once my truck starts. If that might be security issues , or an oil pressure switch , or a bad computer module ( hope not) or what the problem is I am not sure . I am laid off right now and can't afford to throw money at parts that are not broke to chase down loose ends. I am still looking at it and will post if I find something out. Please do likewise as the dealerships just want me to bring it in for them to fix. Thanks Ken

10. azdrtdog

azdrtdog Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

Have you tried a relearn- go to crank pos- release.-leave key in on pos. wait till security light goes out-- repeat -- dont go to the off pos. during this, might take three times