1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

starts but won't stay running, is it the fuel pump ?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by ministock8, Jul 17, 2007.

1. ministock8

ministock8 New Member

i got towed in by AAA last night. i was going down the hi-way and started to lose power. i got it over to the side and it would start but not stay running. tonight i changed the fuel filter and it idled for a little bit but when i stepped on the gas there was no power at all and it died. it still starts but won't run.
    anyone agree with my diagnosis of a bad fuel pump?
    anyone have similar symptoms? Ii just want to be sure it's the fuel pump before I get a new one. Thinking of getting fuel pump from www.gmpartsclub.com
    oh yea, cant hear anything coming out of the tank
  2. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

As I read I was thinking I would ask you if the fuel pump had been changed yet.

That would be the most likely culprit, sounds like you need a new chevy fuel pump
  3. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

First

What is it you are driving? You didn’t post any info and that right there makes it hard to diagnose any problem.

If when you first turn the key on before you go to the start position you don’t here the pump running then it could be the pump.
  4. ministock8

ministock8 New Member

sorry, forgot to post the important info. 2002 chevy silverado 1500 p/u 4.8 v-8
    no the pump has never been changed.
  5. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Let the mechanic do their job.

Sounds like fuel pump. Easy to diagnose, just test the fuel pressure. Whatever you do, don't take it to the mechanic and say "replace the fuel pump." Pay for a diagnosis of "won't stay running." If the mechanic says its the fuel pump let them know that you are paying for a running truck not a parts swapping game to find the problem. If they won't accurately diagnose the problem then you might want to have it towed to a different garage.
  6. ministock8

ministock8 New Member

well i'll be changing it myself so i'll have to go with the symptom of no noise coming from the tank is the problem. i really cant complain as this will be the only thing i've replaced on the truck in 109,000 miles
  7. GaryL

GaryL Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I don't know if you have done one of these before, but I have found it is much easier to unbolt the bed and move it back so it sits on top of the tires and bumper to get at the fuel pump. Dropping the tank is a pita.
  8. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I agree with Gary, it might sound like more work, but any chance you can avoid dropping the tank you should take it!!:great:
  9. ministock8

ministock8 New Member

thanks for the tip. i already had the bed moved by the time i read this. when i pulled the pump out of the tank and turned on the key the pump ran for about 3 seconds. i did this over a few times and, same thing. i put the pump back in and started the truck and it idled normally for about 20 seconds and then died down till it stalled. other than complete failure will one of these pumps get weak so it'll start the engine but won't run.
  10. GaryL

GaryL Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

When mine went in my Suburban last year, I was able to limp it home about 7 miles with it dying every 1.5 miles or so. I did a lot of coasting.