1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

State's Lift Laws

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by ChromeSilver02, Nov 28, 2012.

1. ChromeSilver02

ChromeSilver02 Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

Just because states can, they have laws or codes/statues for lifted trucks. So it would be helpful to know them. :glasses:

http://www.liftlaws.com/
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I checked out that link. For Michigan everything seems accurate except the mud flap point. Michigan requires mudflaps if the body of the vehicle is not designed to prevent kickup. I know odd right? My 1995 stock was ok. as soon as I lifted it then by law mudflaps were required. Being a 1500 I was over the frame and bumper heights very quickly, even running 35's. That being said, 90% of the officers here do not know much if anything about the lift laws. I was pulled over multiple times for speeding (when I was young and dumb). They would let the speeding ticket go and try to nail me on lift violations. I received multiple tickets for having a lift block in the front of the truck. They were looking at the rubber bump stop. I also got tickets for having more then one block in the rear. Which I did not. The blocks I had were made with a taper from the center to each end. The high point where the taper began had a line. The officers insisted it was 2 blocks. Needless to say, I found every ticket in court. I won every time, I simply showed the judge pictures of the rubber bump stop and the rear block, I actually purchased extras of each and took them to court with me to show them.
  3. ChromeSilver02

ChromeSilver02 Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

Yea most cops in NC don't bother with lift laws either but I found the one that cared. He asked after giving me my first and only speeding ticket, good thing I only had a 4" lift on the Bronco.
  4. 1953bowtieguy

1953bowtieguy Member 1 Year 500 Posts

Ive been thinking about lifting my GMC Yukon. Does anybody know about lift laws for ND. And also is it true that the the more inches you lift a vehicle the higher your insurance is?
  5. clinton_hedrick

clinton_hedrick New Member

Why would the insurance company even know that your vehicle is lifted? The only insurance downside is that the thousands of dollars you can spend on a lift kit won't be covered.
  6. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

It's strange There are Laws around here BUT not enforced as much as they were years ago. My first truck (88 S-10 Blazer) was lifted by the Book One insepction station said I had to go through a Lift check at a differant place for a tilt test, I got there and he told me Are you kidding?? I had a 3in Body and 3 in Sup lift on it and better sway bars front and rear.. Cutout fender flairs and running 33's. I gotta post some pics of that truck.. Anyway I do go to NYC all the time and if i WAS to lift my truck now I would not be able to park it in any of the garages..
  7. 1953bowtieguy

1953bowtieguy Member 1 Year 500 Posts

I was just wondering because my dad said that the insurance (State Farm) would be higher for every inch it was lifted.

Maybe you should lower it than. or not go to NYC anymore. :sign0020:
  8. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Guess you have never been there... :glasses:
  9. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

10. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I need to check in to this for my truck. The insurance co for my Harley has an option to insure aftermarket items. If you go that route the lowest they would insure was $3k. Since I have more than that in just my rims I of course went that route. Like I said I need to check into that option for my truck.