State's Lift Laws

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by ChromeSilver02, Nov 28, 2012.

1. 1953bowtieguy

1953bowtieguy Member 2 Years 500 Posts

and to have 38.5s on it you have to have a 12" lift?

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

this is way off topic. No, I did it with a 6" and a 3" body. If the 12 was available then, I probably would have done it and tried to run 44's. If not the 44's I would have had much more space for wheel travel. This was not a daily driver, I only drove it to mud pits or the sand dunes. It was a 1995 and when I sold it last summer it had 60,000 miles on it. It is really fun going thru the mud ahead of your buddys that are running 33's or 35's. Punch it and dig some nice deep ruts and then spend the next half hour pulling their dodges and fords across the hole because they bottom out or just plain get stuck.

Back to the topic. In Michigan you can bypass the lift law by having a "dump truck". All you have to do is install the dump kit to your existing bed. Basically some hinges and a few supports for the bed. It does not have to have a hydro cylinder, As long as you can tilt the bed back they can not give you a ticket for being lifted too high. I have seen a few trucks with and without hydro cylinder kits. They get pulled over, the officer starts asking questions about the lift, they hop out, lift the bed slightly and are on their way. You must have mudflaps on it if you do the dump bed or they will nail you on that

3. 1953bowtieguy

cool did you do that with you 95?

4. Pikey

nope, I sold it before I got around to it

5. 1953bowtieguy

well that wasnt smart of you to do.

6. ChromeSilver02

ChromeSilver02 Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

Interesting that a nice little loop hole. I wonder what other loop holes there could be. It sounds like Michigan cops keep an eye on lifted trucks which is unlucky for you all.

7. Pikey

The state police mostly. But, like I said before, they don't know what they are looking at unless you are pulled over by a weighmaster (commercial truck enforcement) Then you are screwed. They know the law to the T and actually know what they are looking at when they crawl under your truck.

8. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

with as bad as CA is in most areas the lift laws arent actually too bad here. I could actually lift my truck up to where I have the frame another 10" higher because I have the 3/4 ton. I can have the frame a max of 31" off the ground and I am currently at 21". Its based on vehicle weight so if I had the 1/2 ton I think I would be at the technical max height (but I have seen higher). Dont usually see people get too hassled here. I did se a short CHP getting all pissed when they were barely halfway up this guys F350 door which was hillarious. I have been yelled at twice by the same cop for mudflaps but no ticket (even then the mudflap law is fairly vague and probably not too hard to get around).