Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Steering Clunk Fix for Chevy Trucks

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by skinner, May 7, 2009.

1. skinner

skinner Rockstar

I have been doing some research on the shaft in question and i have a solution that will stop the noise almost instantly. It will require a minor modification under the hood, but fairly easy to do.
    I hope to do mine tomorrow nite and i will post pics and basic instructions then.

Results and instructions in post #5 & 6

2004 chevy Silverado Z71 Ext cab 4x4
    Last edited: May 10, 2009
  2. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I hope it works for you. I'll be waiting on your next post, as I've just about gotten used to the "knock" in mine!
  3. skinner

skinner Rockstar

Did the modification tonite, seems to have eliminated the noise and feel in the column.
    Took about 45 min.
    Worked late and can't post pics tonite, sorry, will post tomorrow for sure.

2004 Chevy Silverado Z71 ext cab 4x4
  4. magstar67

magstar67 New Member

Anxiously waiting pictures/details! I took mine to a different dealer friday for a second opinion, they put another I-shaft on it (4th one - 3 new OEM and 1 Borgeson), they also beat on the end of the column where the bearing is to make the bearing fit tighter and it still does it!!! Have had it at two large Chev. dealers and both say there is nothing else they can do to make a 27k mile truck not feel like you are driving a piece of junk! The first dealer has also replaced the steering box, lower bearing and the shaft between the I-shaft and steering box.

I think you could fix it if you could put pressure on the I-shaft - I've thought about experimenting with a bungee cord stretched over it and attatched at both ends to the frame somewhere below the I-shaft so that there was pressure pushing down on it all the time and maybe stop the 'flop' causing the noise. Mine does the noise enough that I could experiment with this at low speed in my driveway without having a wreck. Not sure how to make it work in normal driving but it might be a starting point.

Look forward to your experiment!!!
  5. skinner

skinner Rockstar

This fix i have come up with works to stop the noise from the slip-yoke on the Chevy/ Gmc trucks that everyone is upset about. Ihave 90,000 on mine and it worked instantly.
    The only issue i can see is if the splines are worn badly, it may not cure it or may have to be maintained more frequently.

First, open the hood and turn the steering so the connecting bolt (about 12 inches from the firewall) is positioned with the head pionted up.
    You will need a hammer, centerpunch, 1/8" & 7/32" drillbits, drill, a 1/4x20 thread tap and handle, a grease fitting with 1/4" thread and a grease gun.
    I used a multipurpose chassis grease with 40% Molybendum content.

First centerpunch then drill a 1/8" pilot hole at the top of the flat above the bolt head , then open the hole with the 7/32" drill bit as shown.

[​IMG]

Next using the 1/4" tap, cut a thread in the hole(as shown below) but only cut about half way up the tapered tip of the tap so when incerting the nipple it will be very tight. It is ok if u cut a full thread, the nipple may not tighten as securely.

[​IMG]

Next incert and tighten the grease nipple in the hole, Be careful not to over tighten.
    It should look like below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last step, pump atleast 30- 40 shots of grease into the fitting, then drive it 50 miles or so and pay attention to weather the noise comes back. If so pump another 30 shots of grease into the column.
    This should eliminate the noise and give the steering a bit smoother feel.
    You may add a few shots of grease to the column when and if the noise returns , to maintain lubrication in the spline.
    Notes: It will take about 100 shots of grease or 3/4 of a tube and the grease will start coming out of the bottom of the column at the steering box end. I may sujest to disconnect the column at the location shown in the pictures and plug the upper portion below the grease nipple, then pump in the grease. It will require less grease and will put a bit of grease pressure in the tube which will prolong the time between maintenancing the spline but is not nessesary. I packed a rag in the bottom of the column when the grease started to come out and put pressure on the rag with a small prybar to create some pressure but it was not nessesary to complete the modification.

UPDATE: JUST AT THE TIME I WAS FINISHED THIS MOD, ONE OF THE GUYS I WORK WITH TOLD ME THAT HE DID THIS MOD TO HIS 03 gmc TRUCK 5 MONTHS EARLIER. HE WENT FOR ONE RIDE, REGREASED AND HAS NOT HAD TO TOUCH IT SINCE. HAS OVER 6000 MILES SINCE THEN AND IT IS STILL QUIET.

Try it at own risk, if u are not confident that you can complete this task, get a shop to do it for you.
    Post your results and updates for all to see, good or bad.
    Thanks and good luck, hope this works for you as well.
    skinner (Deryk)
    stephan and ahm1127 like this.
  6. skinner

skinner Rockstar

Put another 200 miles on this afternoon, 90 of that was average to ruff gravel road at an average of 30-40 mph, No noises back yet.
    I may have created a couple of new ones though, lol.
  7. magstar67

magstar67 New Member

Skinner,

I tried your fix...after two dealers and basically new steering linkage courtesy of GM, your simple grease fitting WORKED!!!

I only drove it about two miles but I think it is gone. My truck has GM's latest version of the I-shaft, dont know the part number but it ends in 614 (I think).

You are my hero!
  8. skinner

skinner Rockstar

Let us know how it works out, feedback is a great tool to help people who are skeptical.
  9. leadpan101

leadpan101 Rockstar

I did it today, the noise instantly stopped. Under $10 fix. Great work Thanks
  10. High Voltage

High Voltage New Member

I'm next... I'll try to get to it this weekend. I haven't found any fixes that looked good yet and this one is easy enough to repack with grease if needed.

Thanks!
    Jason