1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Steering Clunk/Rattle

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Sitkaspruce, May 3, 2009.

1. Sitkaspruce

Sitkaspruce New Member

I have searched, looked and read the info about the steering clunk.

When driving on rough, gravel roads, the truck has a loud clunk/rattle under the dash. It only happens when the truck hits a pothole or other rough, uneven section of the road. It does not make any noise/rattle on the highway or streets, There is very little play in the steering wheel.

I am wondering if there is something else to look at, or is it the streering clunk that others talk about.

And if it is, does GM cover it under their Optimum warranty (used car warranty) or there some TBS that covers it.

The closest GM dealer is over an hour away and calling them does not help as they want to bring the truck in to "look" at it.

The truck is a 2005 Silverado 4x4 CC.

Thanks

SS
  2. dwill3015

dwill3015 New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

It is your Intermediate Steering Shaft and is a VERY common problem on these trucks.
  3. skinner

skinner New Member

I think i have the same issue but mine is most noticed going slower and turning. sometimes i notice it in a curve on the highway when the pavement is ruff. I can feel it in the steering wheel more than hearing it but the clunking can be heard sometimes. My dealer said its the slipyoke on the steering column but i can't find any play, unless i'm checking it wrong.
    Any feedback is helpful.

2004 Chevy Silverado Z71 4x4, ext cab shortbox.
  4. jrose7

jrose7 New Member

Yea, it's common...My '04 has had it since day one, (new). Been back to the dealer numerous time. First and second times they said they greased the intermediate steering shaft. Then they said they got a TSB on the problem, and installed new seals around the steering shaft. Problem went away for awhile, but it's back and the truck is out of warranty, so I live with it...lol
  5. skinner

skinner New Member

Any of you know where i can find a pic of the part disassembled so maybe i can find some fix for me and all of you.
  6. skinner

skinner New Member

Very good lookin truck, just enough acc. to look good, not too much to look tacky
    Well Done man.
  7. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Did the socalled GM repairs to my 05 Silverado steering shaft, didnt last, ended up installing a Borgenson shaft. Its outlasted all the other repairs. Well worth the money.
  8. dwill3015

dwill3015 New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Thanks!

I actually posted the re-lube procedure with pictures on this site in the Write-Ups thread. got it from another site and shared it here.
  9. skinner

skinner New Member

long term fix for steering column

This fix i have come up with works to stop the noise from the slip-yoke on the Chevy/ Gmc trucks that everyone is upset about. Ihave 90,000 on mine and it worked instantly.
    The only issue i can see is if the splines are worn badly, it may not cure it or may have to be maintained more frequently.

First, open the hood and turn the steering so the connecting bolt (about 12 inches from the firewall) is positioned with the head pionted up.
    You will need a hammer, centerpunch, 1/8" & 7/32" drillbits, drill, a 1/4x20 thread tap and handle, a grease fitting with 1/4" thread and a grease gun.
    I used a multipurpose chassis grease with 40% Molybendum content.

First centerpunch then drill a 1/8" pilot hole at the top of the flat above the bolt head , then open the hole with the 7/32" drill bit as shown.

[​IMG]

Next using the 1/4" tap, cut a thread in the hole(as shown below) but only cut about half way up the tapered tip of the tap so when incerting the nipple it will be very tight. It is ok if u cut a full thread, the nipple may not tighten as securely.

[​IMG]

Next incert and tighten the grease nipple in the hole, Be careful not to over tighten.
    It should look like below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last step, pump atleast 30- 40 shots of grease into the fitting, then drive it 50 miles or so and pay attention to weather the noise comes back. If so pump another 30 shots of grease into the column.
    This should eliminate the noise and give the steering a bit smoother feel.
    You may add a few shots of grease to the column when and if the noise returns , to maintain lubrication in the spline.
    Notes: It will take about 100 shots of grease or 3/4 of a tube and the grease will start coming out of the bottom of the column at the steering box end. I may sujest to disconnect the column at the location shown in the pictures and plug the upper portion below the grease nipple, then pump in the grease. It will require less grease and will put a bit of grease pressure in the tube which will prolong the time between maintenancing the spline but is not nessesary. I packed a rag in the bottom of the column when the grease started to come out and put pressure on the rag with a small prybar to create some pressure but it was not nessesary to complete the modification.

UPDATE: JUST AT THE TIME I WAS FINISHED THIS MOD, ONE OF THE GUYS I WORK WITH TOLD ME THAT HE DID THIS MOD TO HIS 03 gmc TRUCK 5 MONTHS EARLIER. HE WENT FOR ONE RIDE, REGREASED AND HAS NOT HAD TO TOUCH IT SINCE. HAS OVER 6000 MILES SINCE THEN AND IT IS STILL QUIET.

Try it at own risk, if u are not confident that you can complete this task, get a shop to do it for you.
    Post your results and updates for all to see, good or bad.
    Thanks and good luck, hope this works for you as well.
    skinner (Deryk)

Attached Files:

10. skinner

skinner New Member

Steering Clunk Fix

I noticed that a couple of pics don't seem to show up when i open this post.
    If anyone would like to see this repair properly or needs the other pics to do it, please post your requests here.
    I am sorry , the post came up properly when i did it but i don't know what happened afterwards.
    I will redo it if anyone would like.
    Thanks and again, i apologize.
    Skinner.