1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Steering column blues

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by jimmysierra, Mar 23, 2010.

1. jimmysierra

jimmysierra New Member

One of the 1st jobs on my restoration list for my '80 GMC was the steering column. 3 on the tree and the shifter collar and ignition housing would spin all the way around. Upon dis assembly I found the column housing itself was broken off about 3" down from the ignition switch housing. I dismantled all and welded the column housing back to one piece and now I'm stuck trying to figure out how to get the ign. rod gears (flat toothed strip and gear beneath ign. switch) back together in their proper places. I was hoping someone might know and share the trick or procedure for resetting that rod. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Jimmy