Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Steering column knock?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Z71_usmc_rebel, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Z71_usmc_rebel

Z71_usmc_rebel Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

Hey guys been forever since I have been on here, but would like to get back to being a regular here! Anyways, I seem to have a knock coming from the steering column when the wheel is turned or just idling down the road and running over small bumps? any ideas? I have no clue where to begin to look for the issue? thanks guys hopefully someone can shed some light on this!
  2. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

I did the search function up at the top & found this from another poster. Hope it helps.
    FWIW:

There is a GM TSB (superseded several times) which addresses this issue. I have access to the latest TSBs (which apply to my '04 Silverado) via my ALLDATADIY.COM subscription, but I hesitate to post the entire thing here. At any rate, here's how it begins:

Steering - Underhood Clunk Heard/Felt in Steering Wheel

TECHNICAL
    Bulletin No.: 00-02-35-003N
    Date: March 26 2008

Subject:
    Clunking Noise Under Hood and Can Be Felt in Steering Wheel and/or Steering Column (Replace Upper Intermediate Steering Shaft [I-Shaft] Assembly)

Models:
    2002-2006 Cadillac Escalade Models
    1999-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Models (Classic)
    2000-2006 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe Models
    2002-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche
    1999-2007 GMC Sierra Models (Classic)
    2000-2006 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL Models
    2003-2006 HUMMER H2

Attention:
    This Service Bulletin DOES NOT include Mid-Size Utilities such as Buick Rainier, Chevrolet TrailBlazer Models, GMC Envoy Models or Oldsmobile Bravada. Refer to Service Bulletin 02-02-35-006A or newer for Mid-Size Utilities.

Supercede:
    This bulletin is being revised to add diagnostic information (refer to Diagnostic Tips) to check the lower steering column bearing as a potential source of the noise. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 00-02-35-003M (Section 02-Steering).

The entire TSB, including a step-by-step procedure, requisite precautions and tools, and detailed images, is posted (by a FORMER GM Parts and Service Mngr, named Mike) at the following link... I suggest a SAVE TO DISK complete with ALL IMAGES, once this page loads: