Steering column knock?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Z71_usmc_rebel, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Z71_usmc_rebel

Z71_usmc_rebel Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

Hey guys been forever since I have been on here, but would like to get back to being a regular here! Anyways, I seem to have a knock coming from the steering column when the wheel is turned or just idling down the road and running over small bumps? any ideas? I have no clue where to begin to look for the issue? thanks guys hopefully someone can shed some light on this!

2. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

I did the search function up at the top & found this from another poster. Hope it helps.
    FWIW:

There is a GM TSB (superseded several times) which addresses this issue. I have access to the latest TSBs (which apply to my '04 Silverado) via my ALLDATADIY.COM subscription, but I hesitate to post the entire thing here. At any rate, here's how it begins:

Steering - Underhood Clunk Heard/Felt in Steering Wheel

TECHNICAL
    Bulletin No.: 00-02-35-003N
    Date: March 26 2008

Subject:
    Clunking Noise Under Hood and Can Be Felt in Steering Wheel and/or Steering Column (Replace Upper Intermediate Steering Shaft [I-Shaft] Assembly)

Models:
    2002-2006 Cadillac Escalade Models
    1999-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Models (Classic)
    2000-2006 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe Models
    2002-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche
    1999-2007 GMC Sierra Models (Classic)
    2000-2006 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL Models
    2003-2006 HUMMER H2

Attention:
    This Service Bulletin DOES NOT include Mid-Size Utilities such as Buick Rainier, Chevrolet TrailBlazer Models, GMC Envoy Models or Oldsmobile Bravada. Refer to Service Bulletin 02-02-35-006A or newer for Mid-Size Utilities.

Supercede:
    This bulletin is being revised to add diagnostic information (refer to Diagnostic Tips) to check the lower steering column bearing as a potential source of the noise. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 00-02-35-003M (Section 02-Steering).

The entire TSB, including a step-by-step procedure, requisite precautions and tools, and detailed images, is posted (by a FORMER GM Parts and Service Mngr, named Mike) at the following link... I suggest a SAVE TO DISK complete with ALL IMAGES, once this page loads: