1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

steering column question

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Jaceracer, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Jaceracer

Jaceracer New Member

Hey guys have a small question. I have a 2003 chevy 1500 and i have noticed for awhile that i have a little free play in my steering wheel! when centered it moves about an inch right to left before it catches resistance from the gear. I know its not a big deal coming from me but its driving me nuts, i cannot seem to find it anywhere. I have replaced the rack, outer tie rods, inner tie rods, upper intermediate shaft and the only place i can think its coming from is in the column from the steering wheel down where the upper intermediate shaft connects, any advice on what this could be? I do work for a local gm dealership and have looked on SI about any failures or customer complaints on my issue but have not found anything, any help would be awesome, thank you.:grrrrrr:

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

3. Jaceracer

Jaceracer New Member

the only thing i have tried with the lower shaft is check for play by hand. This is whats weird, i can go underneath my dash and grab a hold of the upper intermediate shaft and then turn my steering wheel a little tiny bit to the right and left and there is a pause before it catches, so i don't know if it would be the lower or not but i understand what your saying about trying to lube it so i'm still on the hunt to figure it out. If anyone out there can test there steering wheel and see if its tight starting from center, see if there is a little slop left to right or are yours just tight and nice?

4. Jaceracer

Jaceracer New Member

Ok its definitely coming from the column i took the upper shaft loose and moved the column shaft by hand and it has slack in it about a 1/4 of an inch and it is annoying any suggestions???