1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Steering column

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by ajkourafas, Jan 14, 2008.

1. ajkourafas

ajkourafas New Member

Has anyone replaced the steering column in a 88-98 silverado. My steering is sloppy and I have been told that is the best way to tighten it up.
    I have a 89 3500 ex utility truck with 175,000 on it and am trying to make it as nice as posibel w/o breaking the bank. Any help would be greatly appriciated.
  2. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Make sure the steering column is the problem and not the steering box before you do anything.

Have someone move the wheel back and forth as you are watching the shaft itself to be sure that is where the slop is.
  3. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I would imagine that if the column's to blame for your problems, it would probably be the intermediate shaft of the steering column that's the issue, which is pretty simple to replace...I wouldn't call it easy, but it's not an incredibly technical procedure.
  4. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I had a similar problem with my 87 Blazer. I have a 4" lift and 35" tires and no step so I had the bad habit of grabbing the steering wheel to help myself up into the cab. Over time the steering wheel/column had play in it or felt sloppy (not turning the wheel from left to right, but up and down play) so a friend of mine who is a GM tech pulled my steering wheel and got down inside the column and tightened up some screws (Torx if I remember right) and that made it tight like new (no slop). Just a suggestion.