1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Steering Column

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by taco2day, Sep 13, 2011.

1. taco2day

taco2day New Member

2003 Silverado, 87,000 miles. Have a rattling which seems to come from in front of the steering column. Been told the steering column needs to be replaced. Is this difficult? Is there another way to solve this issue - grease pack, bushing replacement, etc. Thanks!
  2. SoundZman

SoundZman Rockstar 100 Posts

I would guess more then likely you have the famous Intermediate Shaft noise (Intermediate Shaft Steering Clunk Silverado - Car Questions, Answers, and Discussion).

Start with replacing mine to the Dorman version from Autozone, or you can even get the OEM from GM for a few dollars more. I put the Dorman replacement on about 3 years ago, no problems to report.

I also have a felt vibration when turning the wheel (even when not moving) and I just founds some post of guys replacing the lower steering bushing to correct this. That next for me also. The shaft takes all of 15-20 minuets to do.
  3. Big_Ben

Big_Ben Rockstar 100 Posts

4. taco2day

taco2day New Member

Thank you for all the information. I will be checking out all the options presented and I will let you know which one I decide to go with.
    Again, thank you for your help.
    T