1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Steering Damper replacement interval?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Opiewho, Apr 8, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Opiewho

Opiewho New Member

Does anyone know how often the Steering Damper should last? I can't find a replacement interval listed on Mitchell...but it's basically a shock absorber for the steering components so it's got to wear out at some point...
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

After many years of offroading Ive only had to replace three steering dampers. Two on dedicated rockcrawlers. Both of them were damaged bad enought to affect steering one with a bent shaft and the other dented deep enough where it was jammed and I had to disconnect it to get steering function so I could finish the trail.
    A somewhat street driven truck I own required dampner replacement after a serious mud romp. I suspect mud got past the seals causing it to blow them out and fail.
    Really not a part that gets or needs to be changed a lot.
  3. steved

steved Former Member 100 Posts

I think the interval is when they start to leak...they don't tend to see the abuse that a true shock absorber does. With that said, I typically changed the ones on my other trucks at or near 100k miles, I will probably do the same for this 2012.

Speaking of that, this 2012 2500HD didn't even come with one, so I sourced an OE stabilizer shock and installed it soon after purchasing this truck. It made all the difference in the world!
  4. Opiewho

Opiewho New Member

I'm at 167,000 miles now and was thinking I should probably change it out...
  5. steved

steved Former Member 100 Posts

It also depends on the "use" of your ride...if its all highway, it might be fine. Off road and big tires, basically anything that tends to stress steering and suspension parts will accelerate the wear on the stabilizer too.

They are cheap enough...a generic Monroe was under $30 for my Dodge, the OE stabilizer for this Silverado was around $90.
  6. Opiewho

Opiewho New Member

Rockauto.com has an ACDelco for my Silverado for $58, just ordered it with a set of shocks.