Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Steering shaft problem?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Beck9018, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Beck9018

Beck9018 New Member

I have a 2004 GMC Sierra 1500. When I turn the wheel to the left, the steering wheel makes a whining sound like its rubbing on really dry rubber or something and it's only when I turn the wheel left never to the right. I've taken the covers off where the multi-function and hazard switch is and lubricated the column and surrounding parts. I even lubricated the lower intermediate near the firewall and NOTHING. It sounds too much like it's coming from the interior at the steering wheel area to be considered a gear box problem but I may be wrong since sounds like to travel through parts.

Any help on this would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Let me guess, it only happens at slower speeds, like turning into a parking spot. I have the exact same issue with my 05 yukon xl. I have tried for the last 5 weeks to figure it out. I even replaced the clockspring because a mechanic said that was the issue. I have done some research and there is a valve in the brake hydrobooster for the 04 trucks that was causing the issue. (If yours has the hydro booster, some still had vacuum) The was a recall on them also. The part is $21 but you have to pull the hydeoboost off to replace it. (http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/gm-valve-kit-10398682.html ) and no one is sure that the bad valve would cause the issue. I am having my hydro booster and gearbox replaced under warranty on friday. (because they are leaking) If that solves the issue I will let you know! If it is not the issue I fear that something is messed up in the steering column itself ($900 part)
  3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have this issue, as well -- 100% match for symptoms (i.e. only turning left, only at slow speeds). Lubricating the intermediate steering shaft did not solve it. Pikey's gone futher trying to resolve it than I have. I hate the sound but I can find nothing obviously wrong. A mechanic I know and trust implicitly basically said to leave it alone and don't worry about it, as he could find nothing wrong, either. However, it gets on my nerves.

@Pikey: If there's a recall on this I'd love to have information about it to see if I qualify. (Recalls tend to get fixed gratis, yes?) Please keep me posted on what happens with your warranty work...
  4. Pikey

I found a few sites discussing noise while turning the other day. I can't locate them now. It appears that the GM document ID 1528250

General Motors has decided that certain 2003 and 2004 model year Cadillac
    Escalade, Escalade EXT and Escalade ESV; Chevrolet Silverado, Avalanche,
    Suburban, and Express; GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL, and Savana; HUMMER H2; and
    2004 model year Chevrolet Tahoe vehicles fail to conform to either
    Federal/Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 105, "Hydraulic and Electric Brake
    System", or Standard 135, "Light Vehicle Brake Systems". These vehicles may have
    a relief valve bore within the brake hydro-boost module that is not to
    specification. An out-of-specification bore could result in fracture of the
    relief valve o-ring seal within the module. If this happens, during brake
    applications the driver may be able to hear an engine compartment noise similar
    to the sound that occurs when the steering wheel is turned to a full stop
    position. The driver could also experience a slight increase in steering efforts
    while braking and parking. Under certain driving conditions, a fractured seal
    may require a slight increase in the applied brake pedal effort to achieve the
    same vehicle deceleration rate as prior to the seal fracture. If this were to
    occur, it could result in a vehicle crash without prior warning

Here is a link about the recall: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/p...ype=QuickSearch&rcl_ID=05V043000&summary=true

I hate posting links to other forums, but here is a lot more info where it mentions the noise when turning.
    http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?topic=41410.5;wap2

If I locate the other sites I will post them.
  5. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

[MENTION=51590]Pikey[/MENTION],
    Probably no brake recall for me, as I am not experiencing any of the braking symptoms.

Your link mentioning the noise while turning ... was actually a link to more brake recall stuff. :(
  6. Beck9018

Beck9018 New Member

thanks for the replies guys. I have the vacuum power booster not hydraulic so we can rule that out, and yeah it's good to know i'm not the only one with this exact problem. I suppose I can live with it if its nothing serious. Just wondering if there was a simple fix for it or not cuz it's pretty annoying I dread taking left turns. It just confused the hell out of me why it would only do it going to the left and not the right ever, odd..?? There is a steering shaft bushing in the column area that I thought could be the problem but I'm not sure.
  7. Pikey

Well, my gear box will be changed in the morning I will let you know if it fixes it
  8. Beck9018

Beck9018 New Member

alrighty, thanks pikey i appreciate it
  9. Pikey

I had my gearbox and booster changed out today. Guess what. NO Noise!!!! Apparently, the gearbox on it was an older style, 3 bolts holding the top cap on. These are known to have issues with a valve inside. (explains why it only happens turning in one direction) The new one has 4 bolt holding the top cap on.
  10. bazar01

bazar01 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Isn't it that the truck platform uses a rack and pinion steering while the SUV platform uses the gearbox on the driver side?