1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Steering shaft problem?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Beck9018, Sep 19, 2012.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

That is a good question. My 02 2 wheel drive used a rack and pinion. My dads avalanche has a gear box. I guess [MENTION=50075]SurrealOne[/MENTION] can tell us if he has a gear box or not as he has a truck.
  2. Beck9018

Beck9018 New Member

@Pikey that new one you got with the 4 bolts, do you happen to know the brand of it or where I could get it? All the ones I come across seem to be 3 bolt remanufactured. Or if they are 4 bolt then it calls for the off road package or the luxury package and I have neither. Just standard 4x4 package on mine. Unless the 4 bolt fits either way and doesn't matter then no big deal maybe??
  3. Pikey

The warranty company got it at autozone. The 3 bolt reman should be fine as the valve should be replaved during the reman process. I will try to post more about it tonight.
  4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I checked mine and it looks like it's a 680, as it has 4 bolts. So much for the 670 being the cause of the moaning during low speed left-hand turns?
  5. Pikey

Well, my gearbox was replaced and the noise stopped!
  6. Beck9018

Beck9018 New Member

[MENTION=51590]Pikey[/MENTION] good to hear it fixed your problem, so youre saying that you had the 3 bolt before and you replaced it with the 4 bolt and everything works fine?
  7. Pikey

Yes, I had the 3 bolt and a 4 bolt was installed, the noise completely went away!