Steering shaft problem?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Beck9018, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

That is a good question. My 02 2 wheel drive used a rack and pinion. My dads avalanche has a gear box. I guess [MENTION=50075]SurrealOne[/MENTION] can tell us if he has a gear box or not as he has a truck.

2. Beck9018

Beck9018 New Member

@Pikey that new one you got with the 4 bolts, do you happen to know the brand of it or where I could get it? All the ones I come across seem to be 3 bolt remanufactured. Or if they are 4 bolt then it calls for the off road package or the luxury package and I have neither. Just standard 4x4 package on mine. Unless the 4 bolt fits either way and doesn't matter then no big deal maybe??

3. Pikey

The warranty company got it at autozone. The 3 bolt reman should be fine as the valve should be replaved during the reman process. I will try to post more about it tonight.

4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I checked mine and it looks like it's a 680, as it has 4 bolts. So much for the 670 being the cause of the moaning during low speed left-hand turns?

5. Pikey

Well, my gearbox was replaced and the noise stopped!

6. Beck9018

Beck9018 New Member

[MENTION=51590]Pikey[/MENTION] good to hear it fixed your problem, so youre saying that you had the 3 bolt before and you replaced it with the 4 bolt and everything works fine?

7. Pikey

Yes, I had the 3 bolt and a 4 bolt was installed, the noise completely went away!