1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Steering shaft removal

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by BurbanMan, Sep 7, 2013.

1. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member 100 Posts

Can anyone tell me how to remove the Steering shaft from the Gear box? i have to replace that seal
  2. SilveradoDreamer

SilveradoDreamer New Member

On 1988-1997 C1500...The upper portion of the shaft is part of the steering column, You have to remove the bolt and nut that holds the upper to the lower shaft, and loosen the steer column under the dash, possibly the shift linkage, and at the firewall then slide the upper shaft up and out of the way.
  3. BurbanMan

Ah ok. That's easy enough. I knew about the upper portion, but I couldn't remember about the lower half. Wanted to make sure before I pulled it apart. Thanks for the help.
  4. SilveradoDreamer

SilveradoDreamer New Member

explode_strgbox_GIF2.gif hppp_1008_01+saginaw_manual_steering_box_rebuild+.jpg PowerStrgGear(2).jpg saginaw exploded view_sm.jpg
    Will any of these help you see what is involved'? The diagrams are of Saginaw steering boxes, some power and some manual....
  5. BurbanMan

Not really. My phone doesn't blow them up very good