Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Steering shaft replaced twice?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by jbeall, Feb 25, 2009.

1. jbeall

jbeall Rockstar 100 Posts

Hi All,

We're thinking about buying a 2005 Yukon XL, and when I looked at the carfax report, I found this:

10/08/2004
    Mileage: 1
    Vehicle serviced

01/20/2006
    Vehicle serviced
    Steering shaft replaced
    Rear door molding replaced

03/19/2007
    Vehicle serviced
    Drive belts replaced
    Front shock absorber replaced
    Steering shaft replaced

I believe 10/08/2004 marks the initial sale. The other records do not have mileages associated with them.

So, it have the steering shaft replaced twice (probably under warranty both times).

It's a one-owner vehicle according to carfax. The dealer is offering it as GM Certified Used, which means I would get a 12 month/12,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty on it... but I'm wondering if I should be worried about the fact that it's already needed to have it's steering column replaced twice? And the front shocks--shouldn't they last longer than two years? It looks like they were replaced at about two years.

There are no reports of accidents on the carfax report.

-Josh

2. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Hey Josh, I have read of people getting the ISS replaced more than twice. A few years back they were being replaced with the same faulty ISS that was there to begin with until they came out with an upgraded version just recently. It looks like the previous owner was meticulous about vehicle maintenance and quality and used the warranty to their advantage when parts were not living up to their potential. Like me, my 3year/36K bumper to bumper warranty will expire in about 2k miles so anything and everything that is wrong right down to any bulb burned out on the dash or controls, any squeak, leak, vibration, etc. is going to be fixed. I had my ISS replaced last year BTW.

3. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Yeah Darcy is right , when they first started having problems they just greased it then that didn't work so they replaced it with the same crappy shaft now they are using a n upgraded shaft which so far fixes the problem. (FYI it's not the whole steering column but the intermediate steering shaft under the hood)

:money:

4. jbeall

jbeall Rockstar 100 Posts

Ok, so that answers the questions about the steering column (or ISS)... but what about the drive belts and the front shocks?

5. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Drive belt is just another name for the serpentine belt that runs on the front of the engine it dries out over time and needs to be replaced its just part of routine maintenance.
    http://autorepair.about.com/od/quicktips/a/serpentine-insp.htm

The shocks are another routine maintenance item here check this out

http://ezinearticles.com/?How-Often-Should-I-Replace-the-Shocks-and-Struts?&id=647390
    Different manufacturers suggest different odometer readings for changing them. However,after detailed interviewing with my network of trusted mechanics, I came to the conclusion that it is almost impossible to a certain point in the car's life that the the struts and shocks are to be replaced. Some factory shocks may show aging signs after only 30,000 or 40,000 miles.

Sounds like the person who had it was a stickler and that is not a bad thing.

When I bought my suburban the fellow put a new battery in the day I got it since he couldn't remember exactly when he got the original and didn't want me to have any issues also got a new engine the year before not because of any one thing but it was getting older.

So if there is no damage you can see or replaced parts like a arms or the likes from an accident it sounds like the truck was just well taken care of.

6. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I've just gotten used to the "steering shaft" knock on my '04, just not worth the trouble to get it replaced. I've seen too many folks say they had to re-do it more than once.

7. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I had a freak shock problem on my 2005 Silverado, the front passenger shock went out completely at 4,800 miles. This was a Pro Comp MX6 adjustable shock put on through a conversion from Regency, I have never had the truck off-road or anything. They just told me that it must have been a bad shock from the factory, basically they didn't know what the hell was wrong with it so they replaced it. :sign0020: