1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Steering Stabilizer

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by rileyjr16, Jan 31, 2012.

1. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I have my truck sitting stock right now but when I get it lifted (probably 3 inch sus) I want to put a steering stabilizer kit on it. My question would be to do this before a lift or after a lift? I have some shimmy in my steering and I think the description says it'll take some of the shimmy out.

But this could all be put on hold since someone wants a new "set of clothes"....thanks [MENTION=44044]GMCErica[/MENTION]
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  2. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Member 100 Posts

i really dont think it would matter to be honest... but if it were me i would probably wait until after the lift, just to be on the safe side in case any happens to change for unknown reasons, but i will add that yes a steering stabilizer will take away "some" of the so called shimmy, but consider it a bandaid for the shimmy. if you have steering shimmy you have another problem that needs tending to, i would say before you do the lift and steering stabilizer. i have heard plenty of people who said a stabilizer took their shimmy away and they were happy, and if thats what you are comfortable with, more power to you, but if you want your front end to last longer i suggest finding the culprit for the shimmy first.

ball joints, tie rod ends, inner tie rods, rack-n-pinion (if applicable), anything else steering related either check or replace